you must be an administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP SP3. 

When trying to run FIX-IT Center i get the error message "you must be an administrator to run fix it center for the first time. Please log in as an administrator to complete fix it configuration."

Not only is my account a member of the local administrators group, but i can not use runas to run the program as the actual administrator.

How do i fixit? :-)

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:12 PM

Answers

• I saw in another thread that if you add your user account to the local administrator group, it works.  I had Domain Admins added to the group, but it looks like it is not expanding groups properly.
    • Marked as answer by jrbrewin Monday, April 29, 2013 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Dear Fix it Center (Beta) Customers,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

The failure you encountered during setup using a domain administrator account is a known issue in our bug database. As a first beta release, the target audience of the application is home consumers. We will consider correcting the problem in future releases. As a workaround, you may add your domain administrator account directly as a member of the local Administartors group on the computer and re-attempt the Fix it Center (Beta) setup. Another workaround is to set up the application using a local user account in the local Administrators group of the affected computer.

Thanks again for your patronage and feedbacks!

Best regards,

Daniel Chow

Sr. Software Development Engineer

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:41 PM

All replies

• I am also having the exact same issue. Also running Windows XP SP3. My account also has Domain admin privileges, and shown for the local admin group. No other software has ever given me any type of issue that i am not a dmin.

Any Help from anyone would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:42 PM
  • I'm getting same error on Windows 7 Enterprise x86 even when logged in as a domain admin.  Right Clicking and choosing Run As Administrator also generates the same error message.

This is a domain connected PC.  The domain log-in user has been added to the local admin group as has the domain administrator account.  I've also tried the local admin account.

• Edited by DarthKevin Monday, April 19, 2010 5:53 PM Clarification
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Same thing is happening to me.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 8:32 PM
  • I am also getting this error.

Windows 7 Enterprise x64. Domain joined, Enterprise Admin account. Also attempted to right click "Run as Admin...".

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Me too on XP SP3. My account is a domain admin, and also a member via GPO of Administrators.

Seems the tools checking for something other than admin rights

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:19 PM
  • I'am also getting this error with Windows 7 x64 Proffessional. And this is also a domain joined laptop. And yes i'm member of the local administrators group and tried running as administrator.

I hope somebody has a sollution for this.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:56 AM
  • I'am also getting this error with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. My computer is also joined to a domain. I'm a member of the local administrators group and also tried running as administrator.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:46 PM
  • This really does not seem to work if you are logged on to a domain. Run As helps neither. I resolved this issue by logging off domain account and then logging on with Administrator account of the local computer. Then Fix It Center installed and ran correctly. But after I logged back on with my domain account, Fix It Center opened with no modules available. Well, it's still a beta, but I hope to see some fix soon :)
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Same for me with a computer on the domain as a domain admin.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I saw in another thread that if you add your user account to the local administrator group, it works.  I had Domain Admins added to the group, but it looks like it is not expanding groups properly.
    • Marked as answer by jrbrewin Monday, April 29, 2013 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:29 PM

this does indeed work. so it's not resolving group membership correctly.

thanks

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Dear Fix it Center (Beta) Customers,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

The failure you encountered during setup using a domain administrator account is a known issue in our bug database. As a first beta release, the target audience of the application is home consumers. We will consider correcting the problem in future releases. As a workaround, you may add your domain administrator account directly as a member of the local Administartors group on the computer and re-attempt the Fix it Center (Beta) setup. Another workaround is to set up the application using a local user account in the local Administrators group of the affected computer.

Thanks again for your patronage and feedbacks!

Best regards,

Daniel Chow

Sr. Software Development Engineer

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Well,

I am a home user, and unless any other application, Fix-it refuses to install using Run as Admin...

refer to my post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fixitcenter/thread/789eb019-3864-4eab-92b6-b39f878da640

An answer on that post would be appreciated...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:02 PM
  • You can logon as the local administrator (local machine, not the domain admin) to get around this, it worked perfectly for me.

Good luck! :)

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:40 PM