Which HDD is bad? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS reports that all HDDs are healthy, I know for a fact that one of the HDD is bad, as backups are failing because it cannot read from d: shares.

Please help!

I can afford to remove the bad HDD.

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:34 PM

All replies

• WHS reports that all HDDs are healthy, I know for a fact that one of the HDD is bad, as backups are failing because it cannot read from d: shares.

Please help!

I can afford to remove the bad HDD. 

First, have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (just to make sure it is, in fact, a bad hard drive)?
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:08 AM
  • I would suggest that you check that no drives are stuck in PIO-mode. log on to the server and check the Device manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Check all channels individually. If under Advanced settings, you find any drive in PIO-mode, remove that channel and reboot the server.

I haven't figured out why yet, but I've seen this on plenty of computers and servers lately which is why I'm suggesting this. This should only happen if a drive is failing or the cables are faulty but personally I think there's something else out there causing this as I've seen it on way too many machines lately.

Unfortunatelly, a drive in PIO is still listed as healthy but the performance will be too slow (in my case last week backups not working and file transfer about 1 MB/s)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:22 AM