Is raid data safe on reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a raid 5 setup filled with data on the whs2011 shared folders. I have to reinstall whs2011, will the data be safe on the reinstall or will the data be wiped? When I install I load the drivers for the raid card and ethernet at the beginning.

Any help or advice welcome.

Regards,

David

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

• I see no one has ventured an answer for this. Did you ever get your server restored?

I assume you had motherboard or hardware RAID configured?  The safest thing to do with such a setup is to power off then detach all of your RAID drives prior to installing WHS. Install WHS and let the system create its default shared folders.

Next, install your RAID drivers and ensure they are working before reattaching your RAID drives.  At this point, your RAID controller should see the original RAID array and mount it, with all of your volumes and data restored.  (If it does not, then you have a bigger problem.)

If you get this far, you should have your original RAID volumes visible in Disk Manager. If they don't show up in Windows Explorer, you may need to bring them online to import them. However, all of the original shared folders and data should be there. 

With everything up and working you need to move/recreate your original shared folders on your RAID array.  First, RENAME the 'ServerFolders' folder in the root of each RAID volume 'ServerFolders-Original'.  THEN use the Move Folder wizard in the Dashboard to move your default shared folders to your RAID volumes, and then recreate any custom shares that you need (in their original RAID volume locations).  Then, use Windows Explorer to move the contents of your original folders to the new shared folders (since the data is on the same disk, the move should be fast).  Finally, clean up the disks by deleting the old, empty 'ServerFolders-Original' folder tree.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, December 30, 2013 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:18 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 8:13 PM
  • In theory, WHS will only touch the disk on which it installs itself leaving all others safe. Having said that, to be safe, I would install first and add the RAID and drivers when it is up and running.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MysticMaster Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:19 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Sorry if my suggest procedure (to install first, then reattach RAID drives) wasn't clear, but Phil has put it more succinctly. That is how I would do it too.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Gary's description above deals with that situation.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:26 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:59 PM

All replies

• I see no one has ventured an answer for this. Did you ever get your server restored?

I assume you had motherboard or hardware RAID configured?  The safest thing to do with such a setup is to power off then detach all of your RAID drives prior to installing WHS. Install WHS and let the system create its default shared folders.

Next, install your RAID drivers and ensure they are working before reattaching your RAID drives.  At this point, your RAID controller should see the original RAID array and mount it, with all of your volumes and data restored.  (If it does not, then you have a bigger problem.)

If you get this far, you should have your original RAID volumes visible in Disk Manager. If they don't show up in Windows Explorer, you may need to bring them online to import them. However, all of the original shared folders and data should be there. 

With everything up and working you need to move/recreate your original shared folders on your RAID array.  First, RENAME the 'ServerFolders' folder in the root of each RAID volume 'ServerFolders-Original'.  THEN use the Move Folder wizard in the Dashboard to move your default shared folders to your RAID volumes, and then recreate any custom shares that you need (in their original RAID volume locations).  Then, use Windows Explorer to move the contents of your original folders to the new shared folders (since the data is on the same disk, the move should be fast).  Finally, clean up the disks by deleting the old, empty 'ServerFolders-Original' folder tree.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, December 30, 2013 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:18 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I was surprised no one commented, but thank you for doing so. Server not restored yet due to other things happening.  However, as you have commented, maybe you could answer my question which I shall explain.

For some reason I couldn't get into or load the server either from on my lan or direct. I guess I shall have to reinstall but that is no big deal, although when I tried to repair and reinstall it couldn't see the load drive which is on a SSD. Will take it out and check on another system.

My main concern is that I have a hardware raid card using 4 6TB in a raid 5 configuration. I already have the server folders on the raid drives except the server and client backup folders. I have a lot of data on the raid drives and was asking if I reinstall whs2011 will the data on the raid drives be safe from the reinstall? When I re/install I load both the drivers for ethernet and raid card right at the beginning when it asks. Would that be ok or should I wait untill whs2011 in installed then load the drivers? All help appreciated.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:18 PM
  • In theory, WHS will only touch the disk on which it installs itself leaving all others safe. Having said that, to be safe, I would install first and add the RAID and drivers when it is up and running.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:19 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Sorry if my suggest procedure (to install first, then reattach RAID drives) wasn't clear, but Phil has put it more succinctly. That is how I would do it too.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Thanks.

Not sure if I made myself clear, but I already have shared folders set up on the raid drives via the hardware raid card. If I install first then add the raid drivers, will I not have a conflict of interests regarding shared folders? The ones already set up on the raid system with lots of data on them, and the ones which will be generated automatically on install. Will I be able to delete the ones generated by the install?

Many Thanks.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Gary's description above deals with that situation.

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Friday, January 3, 2014 11:26 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:59 PM