Since HD crash, Server performance with My Movies has tanked - Help Please RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thank you for reading my long post.

My Windows Home Server has 4 DVD ROM’s connected to it (2 SATA, 2 IDE,  no BlueRay)  The problem is that when I  Insert 2-4 movies to rip using My Movies for Windows Home Server, the  performance of my server degrades to the point where I cannot use the server for anything else and movie rip times now take 2-4 hours vs 20 minutes.  I do not know if this is an issue with My Movies or Windows Home Server but this problem started a few weeks ago after one of the six 1-Terabyte drives in my server crashed.   Duplication was not enabled and the drive was 90% full so I lost a lot of data.  Prior to that I could rip four movies at a time without issues in about 20 minutes

When I say the server is unusable what I mean is:

File copy to the server take 4-6 times longer when movies are ripping then when not.

Load of the Windows Home Server Console takes 20-30 seconds when not ripping and 2-4 minutes when ripping

My Movies Collection manager takes 20 seconds to load on my Windows 7 machine (200 movies) when not ripping but 3 minutes when ripping.

Streaming from my WHS through my Windows 7 box to my DLINK works great when not ripping but does not work when ripping

I know you may say stop ripping – but I have 200 movies loaded and another 300 to go

Here is how I’m trying to fix the problem but would love a better solution:

Last night I disconnected all 5 SATA hard drives, attached a very fast 160GB HD, installed Windows Home Server and ran windows update till it was current with PP3 and all updates.  Then I removed that drive, reconnected the remaining 5 drives plus two new 2-Terabyte drives and am now in the process of moving the data off the five 1 Terabyte drives to the two 2-terabyte Drives which will take 2-3 days.    When done I will boot from the 160GB drive, add two of the 1-Terabyte drives to the storage pool, copy the contents of one of the 2-Terabyte drives to the pool, add that 2-terabyte drive to the pool, and repeat with the second 2-terabyte Drive 

If there is an easier way to fix – that would be great.

My Hardware
    Intel 975XBX2KR Socket 775 Motherboard with an Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz Socket 775 CPU and 4 gigs of RAM
    4 1-Terabyte drives running on the Intel SATA slots on the motherboard
    1 1-Terabyte drives running on the Marvel SATA slots on the motherboard
    2 LG SATA DVD Rom Drives running on the Marvel SATA slots on the motherboard
    2 LG IDE DVD Rom Drives rumming on the IDE Port on the motherboard

My Software
    Windows Home Server full version with PP3
    Current version of My Movies for Windows Home Server
    No other add ins

Server History
    Built in Feb of 2008
    AUG 2008 - I crashed boot drive installing Nero and rebuilt with no data loss
    NOV 2009 - 1 of my 6 I terabyte data drives crashed and I lost about a terabyte of data - server has not been the same since
    Dec 05, 2009 I have about 500 megs free on server

WHS_retail version
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• Possibly one or more hard drives is running in PIO mode as a result of the problems earlier? See this Microsoft Knowledgebase article for a possible resolution.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Ken

Thank you for the reply and I did validate that some of my hard drives are running in PIO mode.   I looked at the above mentioned article and even downloaded the hotfix for Windows Server 2003 which includes 2 exe files but when executed said there were files missing in the OS.    The article addresses many operating systems but not WHS.   Here is the link to to the download.

KB Article Number(s): 817472
    Language: English
    Platform: i386
    (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Server%202003/sp1/PKG45140/3790/free/119159_ENU_i386_zip.exe

WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003. That said, move down to the WORKAROUND section and start there. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:54 PM
  • I had to apply this fix to my server because I have the storage drive spin down to save power, and Windows was "downshifting" the controller to PIO mode after every six times that the drive was late in spinning back up. If I remember correctly, the date of the ATAPI.sys file already on the server was the correct one, so downloading of the hotfix file wasn't necessary. All that was required was to add the registry entries.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:41 AM