Creating a "service account" in Dynamics Online -- how? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm doing some exploratory work on a data push from a WordPress site into Dynamics. My plan is to use the API (SOAP or OData, not sure which yet) to create Contact entities when people become members of this site.

According to the MSDN page on Server-to-Server Authentication (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd548515.aspx)...

... you need to set up a service account in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online. The service account represents a virtual Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online user that is the owner of any data changes made to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online database through Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK Web service calls.

What is a service account? Is it just any old user or something different? The terms "service" and "account" are thoroughly overloaded in this application, making it very difficult to figure out what they're talking about. 

How do I get to the next step here?

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

I recommend you use the OData (REST) endpoint of Dynamics CRM online to push/pull data from WordPress to Dynamics CRM in case you're planning to do that using JavaScript/jQuery.

The service account is typically a User (systemuser) of Dynamics CRM having full permissions on the entities you'd need to interact with. It's generally referred to as a service account as people seldom login using those credentials to CRM and the credentials are used for API calls by external systems. So a Service Account is nothing but just another User of Dynamics CRM.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:01 AM