two WHS machines on the same network? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small business in my home.  I currently have a HP EX475 running for my family and it works great.  Can I add a second WHS on the same network specifically for my business?  I do want to keep family data seperate from business data, and I would like to access both servers remotely. 

I am guessing the local machines will have no problem with two WHS machines, and that I can log into either\both and map drives with the proper credentials on both machines.

The remote access, from what I can guess, will be the challenge.  Can I put both machines on my home network (with the same WAN IP from my ISP) and access both of these machines from outside my home network? 

Thanks

Jeff 
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,
    seems this question gets asked every day here in the forums during the last days, like here.

Remote Access is only possible to one WHS in full fashion, since at least port 4125, which is used for accessing the WHS on the Computers tab, is hardcoded. As a workaround you could forward a port to your second WHS port 3389, change the Remote Desktop exception scope in the Windows Firewall to allow all networks and use the RDP client to connect to the WHS desktop of that machine directly, which allows you to run the console locally on the server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:47 AM