McAfee Desktop Firewall suddenly prevents access to Internet. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just wondered if anyone could assist here? I have been running McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5 for 3 years now - with Windows Firewall disabled, but I've suddenly got problems with lost IP connectivity when I re-enable the McAfee firewall again. A few days ago I was downloading something and I disabled the McAfee firewall. I can't connect to the internet through IE8, Mozilla Firefox or my email application Outlook Express and it won't even respond to pinging the home hub. The message on boot up is "No firewall is turned on" despite McAfee Desktop Firewall being enabled. I've run a Virus check with McAfee as well as Malwarebytes and all is clean and ok.

Some of the things I've tried:

I've removed the McAfee Desktop Firewall program in Add/Remove Programs and re-installed it.
    I've re-installed McAfee Virusscan (although not deleting first through Add/Remove programs).
    I've selected System Restore from the Help&Support Menu in Windows and restored the system to as it was 3 days ago.

My machine is a Toshiba Qosmio F20 Laptop running Windows XP Pro. If I disable McAfee Desktop Firewall (which has been running fine for 3 years), then I lose my connectivity. Incidentally, with McAfee disabled, my IPCONFIG reports "Ethernet Adapter - IP 192.168.1.72" and "Wireless 192.168.1.66" with the Default Gateway "192.168.1.254". Hopefully this info may help with the diagnostic reports that I am submitting below?

When I run the Network Diagnostics (in Windows Help&Support) and scan my system with McAfee Desktop Firewall enabled it reports "Default Outlook Express Mail - Failed" (Inbound & Outbound Mail Server)... "Network Adapters Failed" (Pro/100 Ethernet and ProWireless).

When IE8 returns the error "Cannot Display the Webpage", I've clicked on "Diagnose Connection Problems" and it reports the following in the screen dump (which might be useful to you?), Note the invalid IP Address and Corrupted IP Routing Table comments?

Last diagnostic run time: 08/10/09 01:24:40

Gateway Diagnostic

Gateway

info

The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:

info

This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.254

info

This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.72

info

The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer

info

The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address

info

The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)

info

The default gateway was unreachable via ICMP Ping

error

Failed with error 0x80072726: An invalid argument was supplied.

IP Layer Diagnostic

Corrupted IP routing table

warn

Found a default route (gateway) not associated with the selected network connection

action

Automated repair: Delete extra default routes

info

All extra default routes have been deleted

info

The default route is valid

info

The loopback route is valid

info

The local host route is valid

info

The local subnet route is valid

Invalid ARP cache entries

action

The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic

Invalid IP address

info

Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.72

Wireless Diagnostic

Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic

WinSock status

info

All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.

info

The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.

info

Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.

info

Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.

info

Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.

info

Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.

info

Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic

Network location detection

info

Using home Internet connection

Network adapter identification

info

Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN

info

Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS

info

Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394

info

Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection

action

User input required: Select network connection

info

Ethernet connection selected

Network adapter status

info

Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn

HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved

error

Could not make an HTTP connection.

error

Could not make an HTTPS connection.

error

Could not make an FTP connection.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide?

Kind regards,

Paul

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Monday, August 10, 2009 2:51 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, August 10, 2009 2:52 AM Off topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare Firewall)
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:41 AM

All replies