Windows Home Server 2008 and recording TV RRS feed

• Question

• I am presently researching a possible project for information on setup. I would like to setup a server running Windows Home Server 2008 to do all the usual backup and file sharing features and also perform as a Windows Media Center server. In other words I would like to install a TV tuner card into the WHS and have it record the TV content directly onto itself and then allow it to be viewed on a few extenders and other laptops and desktops running Windows 7.

I know it is possible to record from an extender with a tv tuner card and then have WHS pull that content onto the server, but is it possible to record the content directly on the WHS instead? 

I have read about SageTV but I would rather keep the software installed on the server to a minimum and if Windows is able to perform this task then there is no need to shell out the extra cash.

As a note the card I will be installing will be the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 since I do not see any conclusive information that the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 has compatible WHS drivers.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• I am presently researching a possible project for information on setup. I would like to setup a server running Windows Home Server 2008 to do all the usual backup and file sharing features and also perform as a Windows Media Center server. In other words I would like to install a TV tuner card into the WHS and have it record the TV content directly onto itself and then allow it to be viewed on a few extenders and other laptops and desktops running Windows 7.

I know it is possible to record from an extender with a tv tuner card and then have WHS pull that content onto the server, but is it possible to record the content directly on the WHS instead?
    No.  WHS is not a WMC PC (it does not have the appropriate apps/GUI to run WMC).

I have read about SageTV but I would rather keep the software installed on the server to a minimum and if Windows is able to perform this task then there is no need to shell out the extra cash.

As a note the card I will be installing will be the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 since I do not see any conclusive information that the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 has compatible WHS drivers.

FYI, installing any TV tuner in a WHS box is unsupported.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:21 AM
  • I too am a novice at this and am figuring things out. I've determined that WHS is very useful at managing backups and allowing remote access to computers on your network. While there are other tools that can perform these task on a regular PC, WHS offers the most user friendly interface. It's a great thing to use an old computer for. I haven't figured out why some folks are spending lots of money for Home server boxes. But maybe that's just me.

In researching the media aspect of all this, I've found the easiest and also the best option for me will be a box running Windows 7. I suspect I map a drive to the WHS for storing the TV recordings but maybe not. That might cause to much network traffic during peak family times.

Karl H.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:25 AM

No.  WHS is not a WMC PC (it does not have the appropriate apps/GUI to run WMC).

FYI, installing any TV tuner in a WHS box is unsupported.

Thank you for the information, that saved me a ton of searching and eventual heart ache. Since I am bound and determined to make this setup work (since I know it must be possible) I guess I need to know a little something about the way WMC operates. With other Media Center options (aka MythTV) when you have 1 tv tuner card on any extender it does not matter which extender you are at when making a scheduled task for recording a show. In other words if you have Extender #1 with a tv tuner, Extender #2 without a tv tuner card and 1 server, you can be on Extender #2 and set a scheduled task of recording a show and the software will automatically use the TV tuner card on the Extender #1 to do the recording and then load it to the server for visibility on the Extender #2. Also if you want to watch live tv on the extender it will use the tuner card on Extender #1 and send the content over the network to #2 as long as the tuner card is not already occupied with another task such as a scheduled recording.

With that explained will WMC to the same thing? I like the fact that WHS will link with extenders and workstations with no discrimination (a feature I do not believe MythTV has) which is why I would rather work out the kinks in this setup. If the scenario I showed above is possible with WMC then having the tuner card located on of the the Windows 7 PC's would not be the worst thing in the world other then the fact it will then need to be turned on at all times.

Alternatively, I could possibly do a VM on the WHS running Windows 7 with the TV tuner card running on the VM since that box will always be turned on.

• Edited by IconicCC Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:45 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Alternatively, I could possibly to a VM on the WHS running Windows 7 with the TV tuner card running on the VM since that box will always be turned on.
    If you are going to go the VM route, having the WHS in the VM on a Windows 7 host seems a more natural approach.

Of course, this is also not supported, but it has worked for me so far. I use the free VMWare Server 2 to do the virtualization.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Alternatively, I could possibly to a VM on the WHS running Windows 7 with the TV tuner card running on the VM since that box will always be turned on.
    If you are going to go the VM route, having the WHS in the VM on a Windows 7 host seems a more natural approach.

Of course, this is also not supported, but it has worked for me so far. I use the free VMWare Server 2 to do the virtualization.

You have a good point. I would have to do the WHS in a VM if I wanted Windows 7 to recognize the TV Tuner card in any case since I have found out that a VM will not see the tuner card. I will have to test this setup out with a space system over the next couple days. 

Still searching for information on the full functionality of WMC and the MythTV scenario listed above. Documentation seems to be buried. 

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:38 PM
  • If you run a Windows 7 in a VM, WHS should be set to back it up; the connector will insure, once you set it up, that recorded tv shows will be copied to the server automatically.  I'm not sure how the TV card will be ignored by WHS and used by the VM (unless perhaps the TV card is a USB device), but perhaps Vmware can do this, I am not familiar with this virtualization app.
    -Larry
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:34 PM
  • If you run a Windows 7 in a VM, WHS should be set to back it up; the connector will insure, once you set it up, that recorded tv shows will be copied to the server automatically. I'm not sure how the TV card will be ignored by WHS and used by the VM (unless perhaps the TV card is a USB device), but perhaps Vmware can do this, I am not familiar with this virtualization app.
    Even if it would work at some level, I don't think the simulated video card in the VM would be adequate for a HD TV tuner. That is one of the reasons why I think it is better to put the WHS in the VM.

Apart from the fact that it is not supported (and maybe some performance issues) having the WHS in a VM is extremely attractive. For example, you can put the whole thing on a RAID 1 or RAID 5 system and have an automatic backup copy of your entire WHS. I have mine in a RAID 1 e-Sata enclosure, which has already saved me once when one of the disks failed. So much easier to deal with than if a physical WHS fails (and you don't have to mess with duplication).

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:32 PM