Hard drive does not appear in console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had an working HomeServer with 2 750GB HDD and 1 1TB HDD. C:\ an D:\ were located on one 750GB HDD but still no user data.
    Now I cloned C:\ an D:\ to a 160GB HDD and booted up from this 160GB HDD. No problems, everything works fine, nearly...

Since that the 750GB HDD with the "old" system on it, didn't appear anymore in console, but in device-manager and disk managment.
    I would like to add this HDD again to my whs, but whatever i do, it won't show up as drive in the console.

I tried to erase all data on it, i removed all partitions, i formatted it, i plugged it to a different sata-port, nothing helps.

Somewhere must be still a reference to this hard drive, causing, that it doesn't show up as new drive, but also not show up as existing, mounted drive.But where...?

What can I do, to get the HDD shown up again?

Thanks and cheers,
    Joe
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 5:28 PM

Answers

• Solved my problem!  Turns out there must really have been something on the drive that was identifying it to WHS as a previous system drive.  I had removed partitions and formatted via the snap-in, still didn't work, so I found a low-level format tool here ( http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ ) that completely destroyed everything on the disk.  It wasn't fast (took about 10 hrs to run), but it worked. When the format was complete, I rebooted, and it appeard in the WHS console!  Added it, WHS formatted, and it's now in the pool.

Hope this helps someone and WHS team takes a look and fixes this in the next update!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:53 AM

All replies

• Joe,

How did you 'format' the old drive, there have been reports that WHS doesn't recognise some drives that have either just been quick formatted, or formatted with something like Acronis.

Also, I guess you know that the WHS Team recommend that your system disk should be your largest available drive at the time of building.

Colin

Sunday, July 6, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Colin,

it doesn't change my problem, if I format the old drive (former 750GB systemdrive) or if I leave it unformatted.
    But my test with a "new" formatted old drive was formatting it in the disk managment console. I didn't use other tools.
    But I was choosing quick formatting, let's see...
    But even as unformatted drive, I guess it should be recognized.

The "new" system-drive i did with acronis true image echo server and the drive is working well.

No idea how to proceed...

Cheers,
    Joe

Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Joes,

what happens when you reboot the server, does it then still not recognise it?

Have you tried adding it to a client, and doing a full format, also, have you tried DISKPART to remove the partition (not just format it, remove it entirely)

Colin

EDIT:

It might be worthwhile checking the register for drive details.

The drives are stored under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager
    In that location is a key named disks, with further subkeys for every physical drive that is connected.

Maybe checking your WHS registry, would show if it still records the original disk.

C

Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Colin,

a reboot doesn't change nothing.

Right now I'm testing with "full" formatting, but with 700GB it takes quiet long (30% after ca. 45min).
    If this won't work i can test diskpart, i hope i will find out how to use it. I wonder which script to use, maybe you can give me a tip, otherwise I hope google helps.

I fear, this will take at least till monday evening or tuesday, because I will be out of office tomorrow.
    Hope you will still be there then... ;-)

Cheers, Joe

Edit: I allready checked registry, in Storage Manager are just the 3 existing drives listed. So that's clean.
    I also deleted all entrys of the old 750GB drive under HKLM/System/controlset001/emu/disks, same in controlset002 and current controlset.
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Hi Colin, back again...

full formatting the disk didn't change nothing again.

Someone asked me, if it could be a PP1-Bug. Did you here anything about that?

Tomorrow I will try to find out, what script I need for diskpart and check out, if that helps.

Could there be another possibility, that WHS is registrating disks, like in a *.com file ore something similar? There should be somwhere some entry, for me it's the only explanation, that the disk is integrated in my system, but not in the console.
    I was searching registry like crazy, but didn't find any other entrys like the mentioned above.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Monday, July 7, 2008 9:17 PM
  • You should connect the old system disk to another computer and delete all partitions. You can use DISKPART to do that, or Acronis Disk Director. You should even be able to use Disk Management in Windows, though that may fail because there's a bootable system partition on the disk that you'll be wiping.

If you can't get the disk to be recognized after removing all the partitions, create an NTFS partition and use the full size of the drive.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 9:42 PM
  • I did also what Ken told me, no changes, the drive won't appear in console. (creating full-size NTFS-partition with partition magic)

I mentioned above, that someone asked me, if it could have something to do with PP1. That guy had the same problem, after removing PP1 the disk appeared again.
    I thought, well, that's easy, but when I remove (deinstall) PP1, i get errors in event log like: problems with file system, duplication not possible (on all shared folders). As well I cant get into console, error: whsbackup service not running (don't know exact english expression, if it helps: in german: Computersicherungsdienst).
    Installing PP1 again kills all errors and whs is working fine again, but the disk keeps not showing up in console.

Any other idea?

Do you think a simple reinstall of whs could help, or do i have to run a complete, new installation? I would really like to avoid that.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:23 PM
  • I have duplicated this problem today. 

I used 2 identical WD 250GB drives.  Both were used to build my WHS.  (months ago I upgraded to 2 identical 500BG drives and did a system restore and added the drives).  I put the original disks in a drawer, and life was great. 

After installing PP1 and running out of space.  I wanted to reuse the original 250 GB drives.  Remember 1 was originally used for DATA and one was originally a SYSTEM drive.

I removed partitions and formatted both drives.  When I went to the server console - guess what?  Only 1 drive was showing.  Guess which one?  The original DATA, but the original SYSTEM drive was not in the console server storage tab.

I went to my computer and disk manager and both the disks were there.  I can store data directly to the original SYSTEM disk, which is now local storage E:\, but cannot add it to the storage pool.  Like I did the original DATA drive.

So I ask you is this related to PP1, and can anyone else duplicate this problem?  Or have any guidance?

Thanks,

J

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I duplicated this issue as well. Pre-PP1 system HD reinserted into a post PP1 machine, didn't show up in the console. Removed the partitions and formatted via mmc snap in, restarted WHS, still doesn't show up in console but I can see it in My Computer.

Any thoughts anyone?  Is there something still on the drive that's confusing WHS? Is the drive serial # still in WHS somewhere so that it's ignoring the drive?

Thanks for any info.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:59 PM
  • In the registry are the volumes listed in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server subkey.

There is a key named disk and another named volumes. You could check (only view!) if there are more disks listed, than those, which are visible in the console. There should be one more volume, than there are disks in the other key. And the total count should match with your real number of WHS disks / volumes.

We could speculate, that the information of the old disk is still sitting in one of these keys, not allowing it too show up in the console again.

Since I just reinstalled my own server from the scratch, I cannot test this deeper for now.

(And we know, how sensitive WHS is reacting on manual interceptions.)

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:15 PM
  • @ Olaf,

how I allready mentioned above, the manual manipulation of harddisk-entries in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server doesn't change nothing, the drive keeps not showing up. As i had to set up my system anyway, I deleted all drives and entries, that didn't seem logical for me, WHS was still working, the drive not.

What helped, was a new installation of WHS, but that's not the solution. I just wonder, why nowbody knows, where's the problem.

Greetings from my china-holidays,

Joe

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Hello. I checked the keys specified above, and the # of disks shown matches what shows in the console (1 disk).

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Just a hint....

When I was working on this problem, I did read somewhere, that Win 2003 Server (and WHS is based on that system) has a special file, in which the drives are listed also apart from any registry-entries.

The file I read about didn't exist in WHS, but it could be, that there is something similar. I didn't have the time, to go deeper into it, because i left to china and was in a hurry to get my WHS run. Therefore I did a complete new setup. But maybe you have time to investigate in this direction and maybe you are the one, who could work it out. I'm still in china, and don't have the possibilities to investigate myself.

As I also mentioned above, I was trying all possible forms of formatting, even under Linux and even formatting-workarounds, which are supposed to erase really everything, including MBR. Therefore I'm quiet sure, that the fault is not to find in something, which still could be written on the disk itself.

Cheers, chapolote

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:12 PM
  • ello, looks like I have also had this issue. I originally had my server up and running with a 320gb ide drive as the primary and a 750gb sata as my second  drive. After running low on space I decided to change out my 320gb for another 750gb drive. I cloned the 320 to the 750 with acronis and all was well. After doing all of the updates I decide to add the 320gb drive as a third drive unpartitioned. It showed up in computer management when I partitioned it and formated it. It does not show in  Home Server Console. Just for curiosity sake I am going to put the 320 in a usb enclosure and see what happens then since my external 500 shows up with no problem. After that I am going to do a clean install of WHS in a different machine and try to add the 320 drive to that right after and see what happens. I will then try the same clean install do the updates then try the drive. I wont be able to get to this till Sunday or Monday but I will ppost back witn my results.

Be well, Jak

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:45 AM
  • Solved my problem!  Turns out there must really have been something on the drive that was identifying it to WHS as a previous system drive.  I had removed partitions and formatted via the snap-in, still didn't work, so I found a low-level format tool here ( http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ ) that completely destroyed everything on the disk.  It wasn't fast (took about 10 hrs to run), but it worked. When the format was complete, I rebooted, and it appeard in the WHS console!  Added it, WHS formatted, and it's now in the pool.

Hope this helps someone and WHS team takes a look and fixes this in the next update!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Oh yeah that did the trick.  I added my old SYSTEM drive back to the server stroage pool after downloading and performing the LLF to the drive.  

Thanks for the help!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Nice, I'm just not able to verify this, because my drive was already added again by a new installation. I was sure, that I made a LLF, but maybe not. However, it seems to solve the problem, so thanks... :-)
    Friday, August 29, 2008 4:30 AM
  • I've had the The Hard Drive was not Formatted error when I added a 4th drive.
    I tried the "Retry" button, Restarting the WHS, Formatting the 1TB drive (yawn) from disk management, many times to no avail.
    Eventually I uninstalled Power Pack 1 [PP1].  It added after just one retry attempt.

Note: the WHS was really slow after restarting from the PP1, and the automatic updates tried to reinstall PP1 while it was formatting.  Just tell updates to cancel.   Be patient and you can reinstall PP1 once your drive is added to the pool.

Regards
    Peter.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 10:18 PM
  • To uninstall PP1

Uninstall Power Pack 1
    1. Connect to your Windows Home Server Administrator’s Desktop using Remote Desktop Connection (MSTSC.EXE)
    2. On your home server, click Start, select Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Click the Show updates check box.
    4. Find the previous version of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 (KB944289) from the list of installed programs.
    5. Click Remove.
    6. Restart your home server.

refer KB944289
    Friday, September 5, 2008 10:43 PM