Suggestion for forum... RRS feed

• Question

•  Tom Ziegmann (MS) wrote:

If there are things that you guys want to see changed. The best place to put it is in the suggestions forum.

I think the devs should stop marking themselves as the correct answer and let the people that start the topics decide for themselves.

I've had this happen on my own topics and I've seen it on others. It's wrong and sad.

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:15 AM

All replies

• Only thing I am going to say here.

Those of us at MS are not the only ones with moderator / answer marking rights. There are many people in the WHS community that we have given mod rights to. We try not to mark our own posts. There are other moderators in the forums and they can do the exact same things I can.

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:46 AM
  •  Tom Ziegmann (MS) wrote:

Only thing I am going to say here.

Those of us at MS are not the only ones with moderator / answer marking rights. There are many people in the WHS community that we have given mod rights to. We try not to mark our own posts. There are other moderators in the forums and they can do the exact same things I can.

So VERY true, I stand corrected, that should also apply to admins and other moderators too. I'm talking about "those with the power" marking "those with the power" on MY/others' threads.

If we're not trusted to mark the answers on our own threads, ourselves, then take away the button.

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:51 AM
  •  SME wrote:

I think the devs should stop marking themselves as the correct answer and let the people that start the topics decide for themselves.

I've had this happen on my own topics and I've seen it on others. It's wrong and sad.

I have to agree with SME. I've had answers marked as being correct when they weren't even addressing the question that I asked. My suggestion is not to allow any moderator to mark their own answer as being correct.

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:59 AM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

SME wrote:

I have to agree with SME. I've had answers marked as being correct when they weren't even addressing the question that I asked. My suggestion is not to allow any moderator to mark their own answer as being correct.

Their own or anyones'. I can just see 2 mods marking each other for vanity to get around that rule. Wink

Monday, July 9, 2007 4:19 AM
  • As a mod, I probably mark more of other people's replies as answers than my own. I've also been known to unmark an answer, when it's patently wrong. (Including my own...) And finally, I probably mark about 1 in 10 of my own answers as an answer. I suspect that other modes could report similar statistics.

As for why mods can do this, here's my theory: Human nature is such that most users will be looking for an answer to their question. They see a possible answer posted, and they go off to try it. But they will never come back and mark that answer as correct. Since the whole purpose of these forums is to answer people's questions and solve their issues, letting moderators mark answers as such moves the purpose of the forum forward.

Monday, July 9, 2007 7:18 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    As a mod, I probably mark more of other people's replies as answers than my own. I've also been known to unmark an answer, when it's patently wrong. (Including my own...) And finally, I probably mark about 1 in 10 of my own answers as an answer. I suspect that other modes could report similar statistics.

As for why mods can do this, here's my theory: Human nature is such that most users will be looking for an answer to their question. They see a possible answer posted, and they go off to try it. But they will never come back and mark that answer as correct. Since the whole purpose of these forums is to answer people's questions and solve their issues, letting moderators mark answers as such moves the purpose of the forum forward.

Well this thread isn't about naming names or pointing fingers but it's happened in more than one of my threads where I ended up in a mark/unmark contest with one or more mods. I've also seen a mod mark his own answer (or another mod marked it for him) which was nothing more than a repeat of the the previous reply by me. In fact, it was only HALF of the answer but he marked me (with the full answer), and himself, and I see NO other reason other than vanity.

So, I have to say that it's BS to say they don't do it intentionally. How about if the "head honcho" sets a new policy so we don't have this issue anymore?

Monday, July 9, 2007 7:31 PM
  • I see it's still happening. I guess they just don't care that it's wrong. Sad
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:50 PM