none
How to use SAMI FILES with Windows mediaplaye wmp.dlll? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Where can I find information how to use SAMI files with windows 7 mediaplayer wmp.dll in VB6?

Now I've developed a module with which I can see movies in .avi format; but in spite I use the recommendation given in the web https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wmp/sami-file-example, I can't see the subtitles that I have in, SAMI files, incorporated to it.

I really would appreciate your help

EP

Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:43 AM

All replies

• If no one responds you might try the vb6 forum at this link:

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

this is a vb.net forum.

Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:54 AM
  • .... Code and info removed.  (see my next post) ....

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:28 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, I tested it, but it didn't work either, I really don't know what is going with it!

Thanks anyway

EP

Sunday, December 16, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, I tested it, but it didn't work either, I really don't know what is going with it!

Thanks anyway

EP

Sorry,  after a little more testing I found that setting those properties was only seeming to work because my sami file had the same name as the video file (with .smi extension),  and they where both in the same directory.  The WMP control will search the directory where the video file is and automatically associate the sami file with the same name.  It does the same thing if you have an (.srt) file matching the video file name too.  I should have thought to check that.

Anyways,  maybe I am missing setting another property or something because,  setting any of the IWMPClosedCaption Interface members in the AxWindowsMediaPlayer.closedCaption property did not seem to do anything.  Maybe others will have an answer?  8)

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Sunday, December 16, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Thanks for your interest, I've tested using the same name as the avi file, but it does not work either, maybe  there is still something missing in the properties.

Thanks

EP

Sunday, December 16, 2018 7:45 PM
  • The only thing that I must add is that in XP, we must set windowlessvideo to false IF WE WANT TO SEE THE SAMI FILES working.

I've tried  both options but they don't make any difference,

Regards

EP

Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

Your issue does not relate to VB.NET this thread is being moved to an off-topic forum.

ask in the following link:

vb6:http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 3:12 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I Just wonder if this problem can be solved with VB.NET, even though I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks

EP

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:21 AM