Help with .CSV file import. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey guys I am having a hell of a time getting this .CSV file formated correctly. I have all contacts in a excel file in colums.Then save them as a .csv.

From top left to right I have the fields listed. Below each field all the data sits.

After each field I use a comma to distingush fields. I use (") were the data begins and after the data ends for each row.

ex.

Account Name, Contact,                      And so one.

"GHX Inc.          "Jim Manns

ACR Group"      " Jon Roberts"

I have never messedf with formatting .csv'?    HELP !!!!!!

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You might try this :

Open your .CSV file in the notepad and ensure that the last column of the first row(assuming the first row contains column headings) does not contain any trailing comma (,)
    For eg. as in
    Account Name, Contact,

Here the (,) after Contact will make the third column as empty and you will encounter error during file validations.

Besides, the following points might also help :
    1. If you are using excel to prepare your source files,you need not specify (,) as the field delimiter and (") as data

dellimter.Excel automatically does it for you when you chose to save the .XLS as CSV file.
    2. Ensure that there  are no empty rows in the excel file.To remove empty rows open it in the notepad.
    3. Moreover if there are no column headings in a file, adding them is recommended.
    4. Remove any new line characters (\n) from the data in your source files.

If you are using Data Migration Manger: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/04/microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-data-migration-manager-with-john-o-donnell.aspx
    for the import,you can also look at the topic "Preparing Your Source Files" in Data Migration Manager's Help to gather more details.

Thanks,

Sonal.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:27 AM

All replies

•  

Then It says my colum heading can not be empty??
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

As per my experience if you follow the formats below it should become a little eazy.

1. Never keep Row A of Excel empty, ideally the each column should be named as per the attribute it want to Map in CRM.

2. Dont leave any cell value is a Row Blank if data is not required , if its text say NA or number say 0.

3. Remove all commas, " and - .

then save it as CSV and try to import.

I have done the same and it works.

Regards

Meenal Gupta

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

You might try this :

Open your .CSV file in the notepad and ensure that the last column of the first row(assuming the first row contains column headings) does not contain any trailing comma (,)
    For eg. as in
    Account Name, Contact,

Here the (,) after Contact will make the third column as empty and you will encounter error during file validations.

Besides, the following points might also help :
    1. If you are using excel to prepare your source files,you need not specify (,) as the field delimiter and (") as data

dellimter.Excel automatically does it for you when you chose to save the .XLS as CSV file.
    2. Ensure that there  are no empty rows in the excel file.To remove empty rows open it in the notepad.
    3. Moreover if there are no column headings in a file, adding them is recommended.
    4. Remove any new line characters (\n) from the data in your source files.

If you are using Data Migration Manger: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/04/microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-data-migration-manager-with-john-o-donnell.aspx
    for the import,you can also look at the topic "Preparing Your Source Files" in Data Migration Manager's Help to gather more details.

Thanks,

Sonal.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:27 AM