VAIL Libraries, remote access and media streaming RRS feed

• Question

• explaining problem's base is going to take some space here ;-)

VAIL installation, server is being used as home storage and backup, but also as a HTPC connected to my AV receiver and a TV in living room.

remote access configured and accessible from the outside,

MEDIA STREAMING: TURNED ON in dashboard's server settings

TURNED OFF for users.

explanation:

When media streaming is started, windows creates Media servers, this is what can be seen in Vail's Server settings

so Media server is started, but media streaming from within user accounts is disabled.

Now I would like to add some files to my Home Server library, so when I connect with remote web access, I have some files to choose from my MEDIA LIBRARY section (the one where Music, Pictures and Videos are displayed), because it still shows 0 ;-(

So how do i do that?

Creating library as a user logged into WHS doesn't help, because Media streaming for users is disabled.

Ideas anyone?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• hi,

I followed your advices.

the servie was running.

I've built a library for one of the users but it didn't help. I've applied read access for Everyone on media folders and suddenly... they showed up!

Now I can see all my media in both RWA and as a Home Server Library from WMP on other client computers in the network.

Works great.

I think, that Everyone access solves the problem as it solves all problems in regards of read access to a folder ;-)

But the real solution could be giving read access to a media streming service.

I think I have seen a user named WMPv or WMS or something similar.

Do you know id there is a user account for media streaming?

Pity I have to install iTunes with John Cleary Jtunes anyway to use my inhouse media streaming setup. ;-(

Thanks a lot ;-)

• Marked as answer by lzyla Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• Vail's Media Livrary is used for viewing/streaming you media through the remote site login only. You can not upload/delete media here.
    In your case Media Library is not accesible because you have disabled it for the iser logged-in.

For uploading/downloading/deleting media files you should use "Shared Folders".

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:23 PM
  • hi Theo,

Thanks for answering.

I did add pictures to my Pictures Shared Folder, but still they are not available from Media Library through Remote Web Access.

It still says Browse Pictures - 0, and the pictures library is empty.

When I enter Pictures from Shared Folders section - my pictures are available there...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:38 PM
  • >>It still says Browse Pictures - 0, and the pictures library is empty.

Ah...
    Did you check what shared folders are included in the media library?
    Looks like somehow the media indexer is not picking op your media. This is a know issue, VAIL (beta) has problems here. Users have reported only seeing part of your media in the shared folders. But VAIL should at least do a lot more then '0'...

You can try:

1. Restarting the server (and wait if the media indexer starts doing its work)
    2. Remote to the VAIL desktop:
      - Click Start, type "services.msc" and run it: check if "Windows Server Media Streaming and HomeGroup services" is started?
      - Start Windows Media player (Library). Sometimes this can trigger VAIL in to building the library index.

- Theo.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:27 PM
  • hi,

I followed your advices.

the servie was running.

I've built a library for one of the users but it didn't help. I've applied read access for Everyone on media folders and suddenly... they showed up!

Now I can see all my media in both RWA and as a Home Server Library from WMP on other client computers in the network.

Works great.

I think, that Everyone access solves the problem as it solves all problems in regards of read access to a folder ;-)

But the real solution could be giving read access to a media streming service.

I think I have seen a user named WMPv or WMS or something similar.

Do you know id there is a user account for media streaming?

Pity I have to install iTunes with John Cleary Jtunes anyway to use my inhouse media streaming setup. ;-(

Thanks a lot ;-)

• Marked as answer by lzyla Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I've built a library for one of the users but it didn't help. I've applied read access for Everyone on media folders and suddenly... they showed up!

Hi,

You mean the show up on the remote acces page under "media"? Or are you saying media is accesible for the streaming client (your TV). If so, are you sure the client is treaming or just accessing your media through the shares.

For Windows Media Center integration WHS automatically creates special WMC accounts (so I can access media from other PC's, my Media Extenders / XBox. My TV accesses media as a standard DNLA-compliant streaming client and has no access problems - no need to set access rights to "everyone".

- Theo.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:22 AM