Corrupt Shared File RRS feed

• Question

• My Home server has been running for some time - nearly a year, and since I was deployed I did not want it doing automatic updates.  I'm back home and just finished uploading all the updates - seems like everything went well.

I do have a problem that I can't resolve - at some point I did try to open a folder in the shared photos folder (from Sarajevo) that contained a number of photos, the file was too big and would not open - apparently something has now corrupted that file, but the system will not let me delete the folder or individual photos because they are corrupt.  I have found some instructions that talk about "attribute -h" with some other stuff to run from a CMD prompt, but I can't seem to get it right and it will not get rid of this corrupt file and of course the server is telling me that my "Network is At Risk" 

Anyone have a clue?

LJ
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• ButteM said:

My Home server has been running for some time - nearly a year, and since I was deployed I did not want it doing automatic updates.  I'm back home and just finished uploading all the updates - seems like everything went well.

I do have a problem that I can't resolve - at some point I did try to open a folder in the shared photos folder (from Sarajevo) that contained a number of photos, the file was too big and would not open - apparently something has now corrupted that file, but the system will not let me delete the folder or individual photos because they are corrupt.  I have found some instructions that talk about "attribute -h" with some other stuff to run from a CMD prompt, but I can't seem to get it right and it will not get rid of this corrupt file and of course the server is telling me that my "Network is At Risk" 

Anyone have a clue?

LJ

What is the exact file conflict message?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:07 PM
  • There is a utility that will scan and delete corrupt reparse points. It isn't supported by Microsoft, but I've had good success with it. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be simple way to repair a file conflict 
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:33 AM
  • ButteM said:

My Home server has been running for some time - nearly a year, and since I was deployed I did not want it doing automatic updates. 

Hmm. Not the smartest thing to do. The updates could well have prevented your problem. The file "corruption" may have been there for a long time, and you may also find more files are corrupted.

1. As Lara already asked, please give detailed error message?
    2. What's the size of the file?
    3. Can you supply the full name of one or more problematic files?
    4. Is it "only" one specific folder in which you find corrupted files?
    5. Do you have a backup of the pictures stored somewhere else?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:58 AM
  • OK - here goes...

The server was left alone here for over 8 months as I was deployed, while I could access WHS from Sarajevo and check on its operation, I could not access individual home systems so I was not comfortable with having it do automatic updates on its own.  The configuration is non-standard with a RAID 5 and quite honestly it worked well.  I was able to log in, check the status of the server, networked systems and check on the status and configuration of UPS devices running all of my home entertainment systems.  It all worked fine.

When I got home and accessed the server directly, I got a message talking about file conflicts and that the cure would be to run Check Disk, which I did.  The server restarted and tried to correct the problem, but finally came back telling me that there was insufficent disk space to properly recover the file.  It did Check Disk each time the server restarted while I was uploading PP1 with the same results, insufficent disk space to recover the file.

With PP1 installed I was able to re-connect my networked PCs with the updated connector software, but the WHS icons on all systems is yellow and it tells me that "Network Health is at Risk".  When I open the console and click on Nework Status Icon it tells me that I have a "File Conflict" and that "The file or directory is corrupt".  I did try and open this file - in the Shared Photos Folder - from Sarajevo and couldn't and as I read some of the entries in the forum this could have been the root of the problem as I didn't close the file - actually it never opened, but I think it was simply to large to open in the time allowed.  It as a rather large file of graduation photos.

Anyway, I read over a couple of postings and tried to delete the file as suggested several times, no luck and the WHS icon is still yellow and it still tells me that I have corrupt files.  Everything else seems to be working just fine, its doing backups, I can log on, though I still can't access separate PCs from a web connection.

I tried to get the size of the files in question and while the Network Health icon will actually name the files for me, I cannot determine the size of the files because in DOS it says there are 3 files containing 0 Bytes - ?  Path is D:\shares\photos.

Sorry I can't provide more detail - but it appears that everyone is talking about another bug in PP1 related to this - correct?

LJ
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:42 PM
  • ButteM said:

Anyway, I read over a couple of postings and tried to delete the file as suggested several times, no luck and the WHS icon is still yellow and it still tells me that I have corrupt files.  Everything else seems to be working just fine, its doing backups, I can log on, though I still can't access separate PCs from a web connection.

I tried to get the size of the files in question and while the Network Health icon will actually name the files for me, I cannot determine the size of the files because in DOS it says there are 3 files containing 0 Bytes - ?  Path is D:\shares\photos.

Sorry I can't provide more detail - but it appears that everyone is talking about another bug in PP1 related to this - correct?

LJ

When you deleted the file,  did you get an error?

The file conflict message will appear until drive extender makes its next migration pass. The way to clear this immediately is to either turn duplication off and then back on for the folder containing the conflict or to reboot the server. When you turn duplication off, you should see the message drop off immediately. When you turn it back on, it should not reappear; however, if you have a disk going bad, you may have other file conflicts appear.

File conflicts are designed to warn you that something is not right with your system. Most file conflicts are not a "bug" but generally people do not like the way they flag the system.  In some cases, a file conflict can be the result of pre-PP1 or beta code left over causing trouble but this is rare.  We've taken feedback into consideration  regarding how we notify users for later releases of the product so the experience should be better.

Also, just to be sure, please verify that you are up to date on your versions. There are some critical patches that you should have.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Thank you

Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:05 PM
  • OK - I tried completely shutting down the system and then restarting, the "Network at Risk" message is unchanged.  While it was re-booting it ran Check Disk again and was unable to recover the corrupt files because of limited disk space.

I am now in a DOS window and have navigated to the Directory that contains the corrupt files and tried to delete the contents with a "del *.*" command - it tells me that it cannot delete the individual files (photos) due to: "The name of the file cannot be resolved by the system"....?  It's been a long time since I worked in DOS - is there another command I can use to get rid of the DIR contents?

I have not been using file duplicaiton at all - read too much about problems with that service before PP1, in fact while WHS is backing up my PCs, I'm acutally using NORTON 360 and a DROBO unit to back up the files I'm most concerned with, I'm hoping I can get to the point where I can trust WHS....  Though I think I may want to buy an actual server rather than this little Dell 4700 I'm using now.

Any other clues to solving this....?

LJ
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:00 PM
  • ButteM said:

OK - I tried completely shutting down the system and then restarting, the "Network at Risk" message is unchanged.  While it was re-booting it ran Check Disk again and was unable to recover the corrupt files because of limited disk space.

I am now in a DOS window and have navigated to the Directory that contains the corrupt files and tried to delete the contents with a "del *.*" command - it tells me that it cannot delete the individual files (photos) due to: "The name of the file cannot be resolved by the system"....?  It's been a long time since I worked in DOS - is there another command I can use to get rid of the DIR contents?

I have not been using file duplicaiton at all - read too much about problems with that service before PP1, in fact while WHS is backing up my PCs, I'm acutally using NORTON 360 and a DROBO unit to back up the files I'm most concerned with, I'm hoping I can get to the point where I can trust WHS....  Though I think I may want to buy an actual server rather than this little Dell 4700 I'm using now.

LJ

What cmd were you using to show hidden files?

Also, did you file a bug on Connect for this? I have a file conflict bug that sounds very similiar. If you didn't, please file a bug and include client and server CABs.  I'll need to ask the storage team a few questions and they'll want to review your logs.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:33 PM
  • ButteM said:

OK - I tried completely shutting down the system and then restarting, the "Network at Risk" message is unchanged.  While it was re-booting it ran Check Disk again and was unable to recover the corrupt files because of limited disk space.

LJ

Before you do anything else please read this post in the FAQ section and also this Sticky Post in Software section

Is any of the disks / partitions full or nearly full? On the server do Start, run, type compmgmt.msc and hit Enter, browse to disk management (Please note, for the DATA (D) partition you may find the free space is larger then the size of the partition. Actually this one reports total free space for all of your data disks)

If Yes:
    1. Please try moving some data off the server (on a client access the WHS shares, then move data to the client).
    2. If your system (C) partition is full please empty temp folders:
    3. Delete all files from the root of C:\Windows\Temp.
    4. Also delete all files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.
    5. Empty Recycle Bin
    6. Now run chkdsk again

If sufficient free space available on all partitions:

1. If your not familiar with DOS commands don't use them, or do some reading so you know what your doing.
    2. If the problem is not related to disks being to full or actual physical corruption of the files it could welll be the reparsepoints (tombstones) in the WHS shares folders no longer point to the correct storage location of the files. Symptom of this issue: If you try to open or delete the file on a client you get an "Invalid File Handle" error message. To correct this type of error you can use the tool made long time ago by user Catsaver: cleanup bad reparspoints
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Something interesting just happened.  As I stated above I have been deployed and had left my WHS running for some 8 months while I was in Sarajevo - I was able to log in, check the status of my connected PCs, verify that the UPSs were operational and even uploaded some photos I had taken in Bosnia.  I had disabled the "Automatic Updates" since I had no one here to re-connect the PCs and I wasn't sure how the upload of PP1 would go, so....

When I got back home and logged directly into WHS, there was a warning about corrupted files, a little research indicated that I had possibly left the file "Open" and that it had been corrupted and I should run Check Disk, which I did.  CHKDSK ran and said it was unable to recover the corrupt data due to a lack of disk space.  I went ahead and uploaded PP1 - which seemed to go just fine - and WHS ran CHKDSK each time the system rebooted, with the same warning - cannot recover corrupt data due to lack of disk space.  When all was said and done, WHS kept reporting a corrupt file issue, which was clearly visible under the "System Health" tab, it showed the file names and indicated that some 36 .jpg file were the cause of the problem.  I tried to delete these files as indicated above without luck.

I have four systems connected to the WHS, to include the laptop I took to Sarajevo and used to access the WHS network, I had upgraded the connector software to all but one of these systems until today - I needed to scan some documents so I turned on the last system and upgraded several items on that final system to include the connector software.  As soon as I completed the installation of the connector software, the WHS network health went from "Yellow" (due to the file corruption issue) to "RED".  I opened the Network Health tab and it indicated that my primary drive was not working properly (remember I have a non standard RAID 5 installation for my primary drive) and that I needed to "Repair" that drive.  This is the first time that I had gotten that warning - anyway, I told WHS to "Repair" my RAID configuration, which it did and the Network health went from "Red" to "Green", I was then able to log into WHS from a remote computer, navigate to the "Shared Folders" tab and delete the offending, previously corrupt, files with no problem.....?  Trust me I spent several hours trying to do exactly that a few days ago - even in DOS without success. 

Now WHS is showing a completely healthy network, the previously corrupt files are gone and the system seems to be working fine - I still don't trust it completely, but I have now enabled system backups for all 4 systems and have them all up and running to see what happens tonight, I'm still keeping my important stuff connected to my DROBO using Norton 360 to back up that system.

Thoughts......

LJ
    Monday, March 16, 2009 8:48 PM
  • ButteM said:

Something interesting just happened.  As I stated above I have been deployed and had left my WHS running for some 8 months while I was in Sarajevo - I was able to log in, check the status of my connected PCs, verify that the UPSs were operational and even uploaded some photos I had taken in Bosnia.  I had disabled the "Automatic Updates" since I had no one here to re-connect the PCs and I wasn't sure how the upload of PP1 would go, so....

When I got back home and logged directly into WHS, there was a warning about corrupted files, a little research indicated that I had possibly left the file "Open" and that it had been corrupted and I should run Check Disk, which I did.  CHKDSK ran and said it was unable to recover the corrupt data due to a lack of disk space.  I went ahead and uploaded PP1 - which seemed to go just fine - and WHS ran CHKDSK each time the system rebooted, with the same warning - cannot recover corrupt data due to lack of disk space.  When all was said and done, WHS kept reporting a corrupt file issue, which was clearly visible under the "System Health" tab, it showed the file names and indicated that some 36 .jpg file were the cause of the problem.  I tried to delete these files as indicated above without luck.

I have four systems connected to the WHS, to include the laptop I took to Sarajevo and used to access the WHS network, I had upgraded the connector software to all but one of these systems until today - I needed to scan some documents so I turned on the last system and upgraded several items on that final system to include the connector software.  As soon as I completed the installation of the connector software, the WHS network health went from "Yellow" (due to the file corruption issue) to "RED".  I opened the Network Health tab and it indicated that my primary drive was not working properly (remember I have a non standard RAID 5 installation for my primary drive) and that I needed to "Repair" that drive.  This is the first time that I had gotten that warning - anyway, I told WHS to "Repair" my RAID configuration, which it did and the Network health went from "Red" to "Green", I was then able to log into WHS from a remote computer, navigate to the "Shared Folders" tab and delete the offending, previously corrupt, files with no problem.....?  Trust me I spent several hours trying to do exactly that a few days ago - even in DOS without success. 

Now WHS is showing a completely healthy network, the previously corrupt files are gone and the system seems to be working fine - I still don't trust it completely, but I have now enabled system backups for all 4 systems and have them all up and running to see what happens tonight, I'm still keeping my important stuff connected to my DROBO using Norton 360 to back up that system.

Thoughts......

LJ

Can you submit a new set of CABs to us via your Connect bug? I'd like to look at what has changed in the storage pool and forward this to the storage team.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Lara - I would love to give you these "CAB" things you need, but I need a little help here, while I can do many things I'm still an "Army" guy and the really technical stuff kills me....  What do I need to load to capture the "CABS"?  Do I need to load that on the WHS or can I capture what you need by loading something on a connected computer?  If you have time to provide a little help I will do my best to get you what you need, believe me I understand the importance of getting a dependable working product out of WHS - I eventually want this thing to run my home......

Help....

LJ
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

If you didn't, please file a bug and include client and server CABs.  I'll need to ask the storage team a few questions and they'll want to review your logs.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server

Please check out the "file a bug and include client and server CABs."  links in Lara's earlier post.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Lara - here are the CAB numbers:

Client system - 602826642

WHS CAB - 602829191

Let me know if this helps, I will add these to my "bug report"....

LJ
    Monday, March 16, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Afternoon Lara;

It has been some time since I had the need to use these forusm - my Windows Home Server has been running fine with only a few minor issues since the installation of PowerPack 1.  However I have hit a glich which I can't make go away, the file conflicts are back and it appears from reading other recent posts there seems to be a fairly big problem with this issue.

My file conflicts are in my "Shared Music" folder and concern five songs.  I have run Chkdsk on the C & D drives - it did fix something and can no longer find any errors, I have shut the system completely down and restarted and the problem persists.  I just ran the Tool Kit and sent the error report to micorsoft - though it didn't give me any CAB numbers to send along this this post.  The were sent from Springfield, VA - 1540 today (Sunday 2 Aug) - if that helps.  I will read over these posts again just to make sure I did it right.

Anyway, these 5 songs are being reported as corrupt and I cannot fix them.  I can open Windows Media Player on several systems (XP, Vista, Windows 7) and they play fine.  Not sure how they may have gotten corrupted, except to say that I stream all the music from the WHS to these systems and there have been times when you can clearly hear that the next song begins almost before the previous one quits - maybe that corrupts the first file.  But, like I said - the files being reported as corrupt, play fine.

Thoughts....

LJ
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 7:50 PM
  • You will need to submit a bug report directly through Connect. Just sending the logs using the toolkit doesn't give Microsoft any context for the logs. If you have trouble getting the CAB numbers there's an alternate method of sending the logs: you can attach the cab files to your bug report if they aren't too large.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Thanks Ken;

Seems like last time I used the Tool Kit - it simply provided the CAB numbers, this time it simply compiled the report and gave me a "Y" or "N" to send them in or not. 

Did I do something wrong or did the program change?

LJ
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:39 PM