none
TLS Encryption for HPC Pack 2016 and MS-SQL 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, does HPC 2016 pack support TLS encryption  between the head node and a remote MS-SQL 2016 DB server?

We have a requirement to migrate all MS-SQL DB's to be TLS encrypted for DFARS compliance. Looking at the documentation, I see no mention of encryption within the DB server or head node.

If its not supported, is there any plans to do so.

I'm still currently at HPC pack 2012 R2 and looking to upgrade to 2016 in the near future so I need to plan accordingly as far as retaining a remote DB instance or moving to a local DB.

THANX

--jpn

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

HPC Pack just uses the connection string you provided to connect to the SQL server, whether to use TLS encryption in the connection between head node and remote SQL server is transparent for HPC Pack. So technically it shall work if you specify the correct connection string, but we didn't test this scenario.

If you install a new head node, you need to click "Use advanced database connection options" and specify the connection string directly on the all the remote database settings page. 

• Marked as answer by ETItools Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

HPC Pack just uses the connection string you provided to connect to the SQL server, whether to use TLS encryption in the connection between head node and remote SQL server is transparent for HPC Pack. So technically it shall work if you specify the correct connection string, but we didn't test this scenario.

If you install a new head node, you need to click "Use advanced database connection options" and specify the connection string directly on the all the remote database settings page. 

• Marked as answer by ETItools Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Good to know. We'll give it a try when the time comes.

--jpn

Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:54 PM