WHS - Updates RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm running WHS CTP.  I've noticed that WHS sets the network status to critical when Windows Updates are pending for WHS.  It seems a bit overkill to me to set the status to critical when an update is pending.  I just don't see that as a critical error.  Perhaps a warning would be better suited to notify a user that an update is pending.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 11:10 PM

All replies

• Maybe if the update was a critical update then it should be flagged.  Sometimes there may be updates that are critical and you must patch ASAP.  But medium or low updates should be done differently.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:09 AM
  • I noticed this as well after I installed it for the 1st time.

It would be nice to have it list what updates are being made.

If did verify that IE7 was about to be installed. But other than that I have no idea what was put onto the server.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:53 PM
  • You have to be quick, but mine did say what updates were being installed. Why IE7 though? I remember when beta2 first came out there was a comment , but I cant remember where, that Internet browsers really wouldn't be needed unless for maintaince. You couldn't use IE 7 any way if you were running the server headless.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 10:42 PM
  • This is just a guess... but I think the update to IE7.0 was a test to confirm the functionality of the updates. This was the first update that I as offered to do through the WHS connector. Worked fine BTW, was even able to review the updates before allowing to install, just like on my XP boxes.

Wayne is questioning why IE7.0 is necessary. A reasons IMO: IE can still be used for running windows update and you would want to have the most up-to-date, secure browser installed to do just that.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:04 AM
  • Yes, that could be it. It worked just fine for me as well.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 5:53 PM