Trying to Activate OEM License RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I own a Dell Inspiron 8500 that I purchased several years ago.  The XP Pro reinstall disc that came with it has since become so worn that it is unusable, and Dell refuses to dispatch a new disc to me.

Again, I own an XP Pro OEM license.  A friend of mine has an XP Pro retail disc which he said he would lend me, but I knew that I would not be able to complete the retail installation with an OEM key.

I've since read on the internet that there is a way to convert retail discs to OEM discs that accept OEM keys, basically by editing the SETUPP.INI file in the I386 folder, and then reburning to a bootable disc.

I did this, and the installation went off without a hitch, but I'm now unable to activate Windows.  What did I do wrong?  I do own a license and used the key on the bottom of the system when installing, but activation does not succeed.

I didn't think this would be a violation of the EULA since I own the license and wasn't trying to get something for nothing.  But if that is the case, please let me know (I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes) and also let me know if there's some way to get another disc from which I can reinstall XP Pro.

Thanks!

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:44 PM

Answers

• You have a Dell OEM license for Windows XP.  Only a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD is valid with a Dell OEM Product Key and not a conventional retail version of Windows XP.  I suggest contacting Dell Support once again and ask to speak with a supervisor about obtaining a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.

OEM computer manufacturers, such as Dell, are 100% responsible for supporting their OEM version of Windows XP.

Welcome to Dell Support!

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs  

Friday, June 16, 2006 8:39 PM