Connecting Weather Station Device Directly to Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a weather station that collects weather data.   I can order software that will allow the data to be collected on a dedicated workstation or dedicated server.  In our home we have several laptops, but do not have a dedicated workstation computer.  Is it possible to connect the weather station device directly to the Windows Home Server (ethernet cable or USB cable) and install the weather station software directly on the Windows Home Server?  From that point I will publish the weather data through a web share.  

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:50 PM

Answers

• Annetta, you can certainly do so. To install the software, you will log in to your home server via a Remote Desktop connection, using the Administrator id and the password you created when you set up WHS initially.

Best practices for where to install software and where to put data are, in general, to install the software on the system partition, and put the data in a share if it will be written to rarely (access the share with the proper UNC path, i.e. \\server\Public\etc., not via D:\Shares\Public\etc.), or in a separate folder you create on the D: partition (or another disk you add for the purpose, if the data will be very large), outside the structures WHS creates.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 7:26 PM

All replies

• I have the "Virtual Weather Station" software running on my custom built home server. Its great software that sends my weather stations data to Wunderground and other various weather sites with the option to send to your own site. Im using my home server to host my site so it just generates the graphics on my server! It works great! I am using a USB connection so no problems there. I would advise you that generating graphics or uploading data can consume some of your servers resources. If you have a Davis or Oregon Sci. station I highly recommend this software. In any case if you have a custom built server its as simple as connecting to the computer via the Remote Desktop Connector not the Home Server Connector, downloading the software and installing. Im not sure of the process if you have an HP or other pre-configured server.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Annetta, you can certainly do so. To install the software, you will log in to your home server via a Remote Desktop connection, using the Administrator id and the password you created when you set up WHS initially.

Best practices for where to install software and where to put data are, in general, to install the software on the system partition, and put the data in a share if it will be written to rarely (access the share with the proper UNC path, i.e. \\server\Public\etc., not via D:\Shares\Public\etc.), or in a separate folder you create on the D: partition (or another disk you add for the purpose, if the data will be very large), outside the structures WHS creates.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 7:26 PM