Windows Vista Validation on Startup: With complications galore RRS feed

• Question

• First off:  I cannot run Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

With that out of the way, I will try to explain my situation.  Earlier today I ran Disk Cleanup hoping to get rid of some unnecessary files. Well it ended up deleting most everything off of my C: drive.  So I ran a system restore to an earlier time.  After the restore, I tried to log in but was given a box saying my Windows Vista Home Premium Product Key was invalid.  I was given three options:

Reduced functionality mode (doesn't work; see below)

Reenter product key

Contact HP- Did this: they wanted 100 bucks.

Now before you jump into offering suggestions, you need to get some more info.

I cannot use reduced functionality mode.  When I click on it, an error box with file not found appears.  The only way I can access my desktop is by going into safe mode, and I cannot go into safe mode with networking.  So based off this little road bump, I was not able to use any of the advice I had found online since none of those work while in safe mode.

Now there's more.  Frustrated, I tried to follow some guides anyways.  So I followed these steps:

Step set #3

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc   (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

Not only did this not solve my problem (since I was in safe mode I was refused permission), but it created a new problem.  Now when I start my computer normally, I'm no longer given the three options (Reduced functionality mode, Reenter product key, Contact HP). 

Instead, when I log on, an error pops up saying: "Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process." Now my computer came with windows and everything installed from the factory with the sticker on the side of the tower.  I have no Dvd or Cd.

I've had this computer for almost 3 years and I can't lose everything that I have on my computer. I have a genuine copy of Windows.  I have no clue what I'm supposed to do now.

I've used these links:

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/3561f32a-d581-4dbd-b90e-fd680f970258/

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/c9340e5d-7efb-4edd-b256-defa6b997062/

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/ae720c35-3c91-4f07-85ad-82d99297cb11

and many others which I cannot find my way back to.

I'm posting this from my laptop not my computer with the problem.

• Edited by Jonamathan Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:20 AM details
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:18 AM

Answers

• "Jonamathan" wrote in message news:65f6467e-2424-4eb7-ac0c-dd2e6c619e00...

Well I don't really want to do that.  Oh I got an email back from Microsoft!

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

Microsoft Customer Service Representative …. I’m a PC and I run Windows® 7

I'm afraid that that's about the best you're going to get from MS - your current install is obviously an OEM one, and it's the OEM who is responsible for supporting it (under whatever terms they decide, after the initial 12-month mandatory period)

I can't help it - but I want to throw up every time I see someone use that tagline :)

The only alternative I can offer is to see if anyone in the Vista Answers forums can help - try posting to the Repair one and see what they can do (there are some *seriously* knowledgeable people there!)

HTH - and good Luck!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:28 PM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I need to be able to find my way to the place in my computer to be able to use my own key.
    To change your product key, go to Start, right click Computer, choose Properties and in the System screen locate the Windows Activation section and there should be a Change product key link, click it and follow the steps.
    David
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:07 PM

All replies

• "Jonamathan" wrote in message news:6b962e8b-ff83-4b4d-a3bd-c7d9a8dc2471...

First off:  I cannot run Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

With that out of the way, I will try to explain my situation.  Earlier today I ran Disk Cleanup hoping to get rid of some unnecessary files. Well it ended up deleting most everything off of my C: drive.  So I ran a system restore to an earlier time.  After the restore, I tried to log in but was given a box saying my Windows Vista Home Premium Product Key was invalid.  I was given three options:

Reduced functionality mode (doesn't work; see below)

Reenter product key

Contact HP- Did this: they wanted 100 bucks.

Now before you jump into offering suggestions, you need to get some more info.

I cannot use reduced functionality mode.  When I click on it, an error box with file not found appears.  The only way I can access my desktop is by going into safe mode, and I cannot go into safe mode with networking.  So based off this little road bump, I was not able to use any of the advice I had found online since none of those work while in safe mode.

Now there's more.  Frustrated, I tried to follow some guides anyways.  So I followed these steps:

Step set #3

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc   (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

Not only did this not solve my problem (since I was in safe mode I was refused permission), but it created a new problem.  Now when I start my computer normally, I'm no longer given the three options (Reduced functionality mode, Reenter product key, Contact HP). 

Instead, when I log on, an error pops up saying: "Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process." Now my computer came with windows and everything installed from the factory with the sticker on the side of the tower.  I have no Dvd or Cd.

I've had this computer for almost 3 years and I can't lose everything that I have on my computer. I have a genuine copy of Windows.  I have no clue what I'm supposed to do now.

I've used these links:

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/3561f32a-d581-4dbd-b90e-fd680f970258/

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/c9340e5d-7efb-4edd-b256-defa6b997062/

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/ae720c35-3c91-4f07-85ad-82d99297cb11

and many others which I cannot find my way back to.

I'm posting this from my laptop not my computer with the problem.

My best suggestion would be to extract the data from the disk by putting it in another machine, and then reformat/reinstall from the manufacturer's recovery disks - it sound like you have had a major disk corruption problem.

You should be able to get the disks from HP for a price - or you may even be able to create them yourself while in safe mode (if you're lucky, and the HP process allows this). The Recovery partition (if one exists) may still be OK.
    You will need to check your manual to see what your options are WRT disk creation or recovery partition usage - it varies from model to model.

--

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Well I don't really want to do that.  Oh I got an email back from Microsoft!

I'm sorry to know that you are facing issues with the product key while trying to activate Windows 7. I realize the importance of your concern and let me try my best to assist you.

If you need a replacement product key, and your Microsoft software came preinstalled, please contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).   A list of most OEMs can be found at  http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us&scid=gp%3Ben-us%3Boemphone&x=17&y=8 , or by searching the Web using the manufacturers' exact name.

If you need a replacement product key and you purchased your software separately please contact Microsoft Technical Support at 1-800-Microsoft (800-642-7676).  Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 5:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. Pacific time and Saturday or Sunday from 6:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Pacific time.

If you have other concerns, please feel free to write back.

Thank you,

Faraaz

Somehow, even after putting windows vista several time in my issue statement, they still think I'm using Windows 7.  His email is a third the size of the one I sent them and it gives me absolutely no help.  I never said I wanted a new product key.  I need to be able to find my way to the place in my computer to be able to use my own key.

There has to be something I can enter in the command prompt to fix this:" Now when I start my computer normally, I'm no longer given the three options (Reduced functionality mode, Reenter product key, Contact HP). 

Instead, when I log on, an error pops up saying: "Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process." "

• Edited by Jonamathan Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:47 PM aditional info
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:37 PM
  • "Jonamathan" wrote in message news:65f6467e-2424-4eb7-ac0c-dd2e6c619e00...

Well I don't really want to do that.  Oh I got an email back from Microsoft!

I'm afraid that that's about the best you're going to get from MS - your current install is obviously an OEM one, and it's the OEM who is responsible for supporting it (under whatever terms they decide, after the initial 12-month mandatory period)

I can't help it - but I want to throw up every time I see someone use that tagline :)

The only alternative I can offer is to see if anyone in the Vista Answers forums can help - try posting to the Repair one and see what they can do (there are some *seriously* knowledgeable people there!)

HTH - and good Luck!

--

Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I need to be able to find my way to the place in my computer to be able to use my own key.
    To change your product key, go to Start, right click Computer, choose Properties and in the System screen locate the Windows Activation section and there should be a Change product key link, click it and follow the steps.
    David
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:07 PM