Nvidia MCP73 610i/7050 Drivers for WHS/Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I picked up two Motherboard for $25.00 ea (open box) from Fry's a couple weeks ago as am building a PC for the Kids & a WHS box too. I wanted to use the Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 which is based on the Nvidia MCP73 (630i Chipset & 7050 Graphics) for the WHS Box & when I installed the Eval copy I received I ran into some trouble getting the onboard NIC to work & also I cannot find any Server 2003 Drivers for this chipset. The other motherboard is a ECS P4M900T-M based on the Via P4M900 Northbridge & Via VT8237A/S southbridge with Chrome 9 Graphics. This board installed WHS perfectly with only having to hunt for an audio driver which really isn't needed anyway. Both of these are boards for Intel Core Duo Processors.

I really wanted to use the Gigabyte board for my WHS box as this build will have DDR2 6400 (800mhz) Ram with a E6400 Processor along with two 500GB WD SATA II Drives. The reason I want to use this board is that it has 4 SATA ports for future expansion & it supports my Ram for running DDR2 800 (400mhz) speeds & the ECS board only has 2 SATA Ports & only supports DDR2 667 (333 mhz). Also both systems must go into mATX cases for space savings.

The Kids PC will wait until I get this sorted out but for right now, WHS so far is running fine on the ECS board & the System is real easy to administor.

If anyone can point me in the direction for Drivers or point me in the direction to Mod WinXP ones to work on a Server 2003 setup or even if they had the Nvidia chipset & what they did to make it work I would be very greatful.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:52 AM

All replies

• You might be able to use the XP drivers directly; usually the XP drivers are really unified drivers for several operating systems. Have you tried that?
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I was able to load the Nvidia Nforce 16.08 drivers but only could get the Ethernet drivers to take. I also tried the 16.06 from Gigabyte's site but only the ethernet drivers would take also. Loading the SM Bus & other drivers would cause the system to crash, lock up or when rebooting it would just hang on a black screen. I even tried loading system with a PCI-e card with the onboard graphics disabled to try to eliminate it being a graphic problem but to no avail. I think it is definately a chipset thing, but I am hoping another forum member has the same chipset & has a workaround.

Worse case senario would be to take another visit to Fry's & get an Intel Chipset board & just have a board laying around as an extra or ebay the thing.....

SlackAdjuster

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:25 AM
  •  

I can confirm the same issue with an Nvidia 430/6150 motherboard where using the XP drivers in WHS causes the system to crash or lock up. Removing them solved the problem for me and really didn't seem any need to upgrade them in the first place as everything worked correctly from installing the OS.
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 6:35 PM