Queus vs Activities vs Cases RRS feed

• Question

• As background, this is from the perspective of a support team who receives support requests through phone calls, emails or requests from a website (which sends an email). To resolve the issue often multiple people are involved in email communications. It's a small team of ~5 people with less than 50 request a day. In that context, I am trying to understand the difference between Queues, Activities and (Open) Cases. When would I use one over the other?

Queues might have a better way to prioritize requests if you expect MANY (100s) requests a day with a big support team. This is not really representing our scenario. Also it adds complexity because now support cases exist under "cases" as well as "queues". I rather have people deal with just one entity so it's less confusing.

Activities seem to be similar to queues but for an individual/user. If so, that's probably not the right way to go because a case would only be handled by one person.

That leaves "cases". Basically, every member of the support team can create a case. The case automatically triggers an email to an email alias. Various members of the support team can respond/contribute. All these communications are being recorded.

Am I missing something or can an important business case be made for using queues under this scenario?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:33 AM

All replies

• Cases have priority field which you can use to hanndle importance of case.

Regards Faisal

Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Faisal, thanks, I know they have a priority field. I am trying to find out if in my scenario a compelling case can be made to use queues. The only advantage I see right now is that queues can work with teams whereas cases seems more centered around an individual. But even with cases, individuals can pick up cases from the list of cases. Queues seem to create a parallel system to cases which seems confusing. Maybe I am missing something.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:54 PM