How many keywords per ad campaign is best? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have read that anywhere from 3-5 up to hundreds can be used. Also, should each keyword have a corresponding ad that contains the keyword in the title and ad desciption?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:55 PM

All replies

• The number of keywords per ad group really depends upon the product or service you're promoting. The rule of thumb is that keywords in an ad group should be closely related in meaning.

Relevance between your keyword, ad copy, and landing page drives search engine advertising - both CTR, quality score, and conversions. If you have hundreds of keywords that are only loosely related, it's harder to ensure high relevance between all aspects of your campaign. In some cases there might be a large number of closely related keywords for a single product or service; it most cases, however, there will be relatively few. Better to have more ad groups with fewer keywords and targeted ads than few ad groups with large numbers of keywords and ads forced to fit using dyanmic keyword insertion.

My opinion, of course, but I've seen it work consistently across a large number of clients. One of my most successful clients has gone so far as using only one keyword per ad group. I don't recommend that for everyone but it worked wonderfully in his niche market.

You'll need to test different combinations to see what works for you. If you're working for different clients, you'll need to test with each new client. The bottom line is that no one's opinion really matters, not even mine. Test and then trust the data.

Cheers,

Charles

Micro Marketing

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:28 PM