Windows Home Server Connector - Unknown Network Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I know this issue has been brought up in many threads, believe me, I have sat and read through a lot of them but cannot find the answer to my issue.

I have installed WHS and it is visible on my home network, I can access the shares on the WHS through network browser and I am am able to ping the server using the IP address and host name.

My issue is when I try to connect to the server using the connector software I get an 'unknown network error has occurred" message and I am only able to go back or cancel. I am installed the software on to a laptop running Vista Business and it is being installed from the WHS network share.

I have noticed that although the connector software is displaying an error message, in the WHS Console on the server the computer is showing up, I am able to configure a backup for this PC however from the WHS website I am not able to connect to the PC as it says "Connection Disabled"

I dont know how to get past this issue with the connector software, I have edited the HOSTS file on the PC I am trying to connect to the server and I have made sure that the server and PC are on the same workgroup, I have checked that the default website is running in IIS.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be stopping the connector software from completing it's setup and finding the server?

Thanks
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

Just by chance I decided when I had installed the connector software and the PC showed up in the WHS Console to go to task manager and end the install process.

I found that the PC had actually discovered the server and after a reboot everything worked fine, the system tray icon loaded to give me network status information and a shortcut was created on the desktop to the shared folders.

I unfortunately don't know what was causing this issue but there is speculation that it relates to an issue with hardware and install fails on the server (I had an error on the server when I was completing the install but it all worked fine despite of the error). One such issue could be that there is a network card in the server that is not recognised by windows so the install cannot complete the networking part of the setup correctly causing issues with connectors.

I installed Power Pack 1 on the server and the new connectors worked fine after that, they were able to discover the server without any problems. Now though I have an issue with the server which I will post in another thread.

Thanks for all of your input.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:39 AM

All replies

• DavidHodgson said:

Hi All,

I know this issue has been brought up in many threads, believe me, I have sat and read through a lot of them but cannot find the answer to my issue.

I have installed WHS and it is visible on my home network, I can access the shares on the WHS through network browser and I am am able to ping the server using the IP address and host name.

My issue is when I try to connect to the server using the connector software I get an 'unknown network error has occurred" message and I am only able to go back or cancel. I am installed the software on to a laptop running Vista Business and it is being installed from the WHS network share.

I have noticed that although the connector software is displaying an error message, in the WHS Console on the server the computer is showing up, I am able to configure a backup for this PC however from the WHS website I am not able to connect to the PC as it says "Connection Disabled"

I dont know how to get past this issue with the connector software, I have edited the HOSTS file on the PC I am trying to connect to the server and I have made sure that the server and PC are on the same workgroup, I have checked that the default website is running in IIS.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be stopping the connector software from completing it's setup and finding the server?

Thanks

Have you tried installing the Connector software on other computers?  Have you tried installing the WHS Toolkit (32-bit or 64-bit) on your client and running the Connector Troubleshooter?  Can you please post an ipconfig /all of both the client and the server?
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Not to hijack this thread, but I have the same or a similar problem.  When I start the connector client, it finds my server by name, gets to 0% software download, and then reports "an error occured - this operation cannot be completed at this time." 

I had no problem installing the client on another (less locked down) laptop on the same home network.

I've read the WHS trouble shooting guide and opened up TCP ports 55000, 56000, 8912, and 1138 in my Windows Firewall.  I've added the install program to my firewall exception list.  My server ports are opened appropriately.  I've enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on my client. 

Running the connector troubleshooter app reveals lots of errors:
    - cannot connect to server backup
    - cannot connect to server transport
    - s/w version mismatch
    - cannot connect to internal websites (ASPX, simple page, ...)
    - cannot connect to internal web services
    - UPnP discovery failed
    - name resolution failed
    - cannot ping server by name
    - beacon discovery failed

Server IP config:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : X.Y.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-76-B7-96

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : A.B.1.101

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : A.B.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : A.B.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98

Client IP config:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : X.Y.comcast.net.
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-42-43-CC-B8
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : A.B.1.100
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : A.B.1.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : A.B.1.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98

My client is running NAV (managed and locked) and Windows Defender.  I'm not sure if these programs might have anything to do with the problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:43 AM
  • I would try running with NAV and other such programs disabled. Perhaps it is a firewall issue somewhere
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Hi Dave,
    DNS servers pointing directly to the Internet Service Providers DNS servers instead of the routers IP address (which you should always use, unless proven as not functional) and connection specific DNS suffixes both often cause, that the search request for your local home server if forwarded to that external DNS server, which does not even know your server. So the search request times out and the name resolution fails.
    Try to adjust the DHCP configuration in your router properly, of if you have set the DNS entries locally, do it on each computer.
    On the server and on the client, if necessary, also enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of the network connection. (you did cut this information from your ipconfig/all output).
    Reboot the systems after and give them some time to build up the NetBIOS master browser list.

If this does not help to solve the issue, you could alter the hosts file on the client as an unsupported workaround.
    It is located in Windows\system32\drivers\etc and can be edited with notepad. Add a line containing the IP address of your WHS and it's name.
    But after changing this, don't forget about this change, since every change in your WHS configuration, touching it's IP address (like reinstallation or power outage of the router), will render this change to a source for a failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 8:36 AM
  • Hi All,

Just by chance I decided when I had installed the connector software and the PC showed up in the WHS Console to go to task manager and end the install process.

I found that the PC had actually discovered the server and after a reboot everything worked fine, the system tray icon loaded to give me network status information and a shortcut was created on the desktop to the shared folders.

I unfortunately don't know what was causing this issue but there is speculation that it relates to an issue with hardware and install fails on the server (I had an error on the server when I was completing the install but it all worked fine despite of the error). One such issue could be that there is a network card in the server that is not recognised by windows so the install cannot complete the networking part of the setup correctly causing issues with connectors.

I installed Power Pack 1 on the server and the new connectors worked fine after that, they were able to discover the server without any problems. Now though I have an issue with the server which I will post in another thread.

Thanks for all of your input.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Try to adjust the DHCP configuration in your router properly, of if you have set the DNS entries locally, do it on each computer.  On the server and on the client, if necessary, also enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of the network connection. (you did cut this information from your ipconfig/all output). Reboot the systems after and give them some time to build up the NetBIOS master browser list.

If this does not help to solve the issue, you could alter the hosts file on the client as an unsupported workaround.
    It is located in Windows\system32\drivers\etc and can be edited with notepad. Add a line containing the IP address of your WHS and it's name. But after changing this, don't forget about this change, since every change in your WHS configuration, touching it's IP address (like reinstallation or power outage of the router), will render this change to a source for a failure.

Olaf

Olaf, Thanks very much for your help!  The hosts file workaround worked, but I realize it's not a great solution and would like a better fix.  This is driving me crazy.  As you suggest, there seems to be a name resoution problem.  Before changing my hosts file, I could ping the WHS box by IP but not by name on my problem PC.  On my wife's PC, everything works fine including pinging by name.  Based on ipconfig /all, both PCs have the same DHCP server and same three DNS servers.  I can't tell why my wife's PC is resolving the name and mine is not.  My PC is runnng XP and my wife's PC is running Vista if that makes a difference.  I'm not sure what you're suggesting I do when you say to "adjust the DHCP configuration in your router properly."  For my Lynksys 802.11B router, DHCP is enabled, has a reasonable start IP address and range, has 0 for client lease time, and no (zeroed) static or WINS addresses.  Those are all the basic settings.  What do you recommend I change?

Dave

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:01 AM
  • Hi Dave,
    so where the client got the DNS server entries from? Can only come either from either the DHCP server or have been set manually in the TCP/IP properties.
    This should be changed to the IP address of your router and nothing else.
    Also Connection-specific DNS Suffix X.Y.comcast.net should be removed, where ever it has been set, if this is not a condition without which your Internet connection doesn't work at all (I don't know your ISP, so I don't know, if he would require such entry, but I don't think it does on internal clients).
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:09 AM