F8-Repair Your Computer fails after restore RRS feed

• Question

• My Hitachi hd was failing in my Dell laptop. Dell sent me a new Samsung hd with a factory image. I did a WHS restore first by deleting all partitions, and creating a 100 mb System Reserved partition and a 232 GB C partition, the same sizes as in my backup. I restored the System Reserved partition to the 100 mb new partition, and the 232 GB C Drive to the 232 GB partition. System booted fine and then recognized a different brand HD and loaded drivers. I rebooted and all seemed well. I wanted to make sure my repair partition worked so I rebooted, pressed F8, and selected Repair Your Computer. It crashed with a code that I think was 0xc000000f. I tried repairing from a Win 7 disk and it seemed to find an error and repair it, but same problem on next try.

I then did a second try of a restore, and WHS gave me the choice of a full restore of all partitions automatically (gave me this option the first time but I chose to manually select partitions). I chose automatic this time. Ended up with same results in the end. My guess at the time was that the System Reserved partition did not have drivers for the new HD and therefore wouldn't boot into WinPE.

I then reinstalled Win 7 from scratch and let it create the System Reserved partition. I could then get into the "repair your computer" option. Then I restored my backed up C Drive to the newly created C partition, leaving System Reserved alone. Rebooted and my restored windows sees the new drive and installs drivers again. It rebooted fine. I rebooted again and cannot get into the recover your computer screen, same error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mitch

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:09 AM

All replies

• Please Try:

When you create the new partitions in the WHS restore process you should set the System Reserved partition as Active Partition. (If you forget you can also change this after WHS restore has finished). If the system then fails to boot you Run repair from Win7 installation media (Win7 install DVD or bootable USB thumb drive).

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:29 AM
  • The system reserved partition ia and has been set as active. I know I can boot from install media to do a repair, but I want to be able to do it from the HD.

Thanks

Mitch

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:52 PM
  • The system reserved partition ia and has been set as active. I know I can boot from install media to do a repair, but I want to be able to do it from the HD.

Thanks

Mitch

So you set System Reserved partition to Active Partition before start of actual restore? If Yes, even when you did this the system will still fail to boot in most cases when you have replaced or reformatted the original hdd, so after restoring WHS backup (including System Reserved partition and ALSO original OEM recovery partition) you still need to run repair from installation disk to get the system bootable. After that you should normally be able to boot into repair mode from hdd.
    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, February 14, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I don't remember if I set the system reserved as active the very first time I did this. However the second time I did it WHS did the automatic restore and set system reserved as active. The third and last time I tried this, I had reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch and system reserved was already set as active. I was able to boot into system repair before I restored the C drive. I have always been able to boot into the C drive perfectly. It is only booting into the repair partition that fails. I have used the installation media to repair the computer as mentioned in the first post. If seemed to find an error and said it was repaired. However it wasn't really repaired. Thanks, Mitch
    Monday, February 14, 2011 4:51 PM
  • anybody?
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:48 PM