full external hard drive for back up? RRS feed

• Question

• My external hard drive has plenty of space for backing up files, but I keep getting a message that says it cannot complete back up because my device doesn't have enough space.  Both device and onecare indicate that there is space before backup begins.  Why won't the back up complete?

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check your PC's system drive, typically C:\. If it is low on space, backup will be unable to proceed. If you need help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:39 PM
  • I checked my C:\ and it has 53 GB free.  Shouldn't that be enough?  I am so frustrated because I have now purchased extra flash drives and even brand new empty ones are getting the same message.  (external drive doesn't have enough space).  What do I do?

P

Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Yes, that should be plenty. I recommend that you contact support via the FAQ link in my prior reply since the problem is continuing for you. I can certainly understand the frustration.

-steve

Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I tried that link but I found it confusing because I ended up back here.  Sorry for the idiosy, but could you spell out the steps for me so I don't keep ending up looking at lists of problems that don't help me?  I just want to chat with someone directly.  Thanks for your help, P

Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4094781&SiteID=2

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Thursday, November 6, 2008 6:59 PM