Error Importing Address into Contact RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have imported some contacts. These contacts have more than three addresses so I use the entity Address. I have a .csv file with the fields "Address Name", "Street 1" (both obligatories) and "Main". I work with Data Manager and I assign these fields to the fields of the entity Address" and I connect the field "Main" with the field "Surname" from the entity Contact. When I try to import data shows the following message: "Error. An unexpected error occurred".

What happens?

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:36 PM

Answers

• Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have run the Advanced Find and the Import Tool again and the Import Tool shows a message with the forgotten field: "Object Type". I have assigned to this field the value "Contact" and to the field "Main" the value of the field "Complet Name" and I can import!!!

Thank you.

Friday, December 12, 2008 10:34 AM

All replies

• We will need a little more information to help you with this.  It sounds to me like there is something wrong with your file.  At a minimum, you need to ensure you have all required fields represented in your file and there are no extra characters like commas, etc. 

Below is a link to a good video on the Data Migration Manager that should help.

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/jodonnell/Microsoft-Dynamics-CRM-40--Data-Migration-Manager-with-John-ODonnell/

Below is a link to a video on the Import Tool as you may need to use that if you are updating records

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/jodonnell/Microsoft-Dynamics-CRM-40-Import-Data-Wizard-with-John-ODonnell/

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:42 PM
  • I have other entity called "Banks Account" that is similar to the entity "Address" and it has got a "Main" field, which is also included in the entity "Contact" and no obligatory field. I can import this entity without any problem. So I think my problem it is that I don´t assign an obligatory field because if I try to import it with the Import Wizard from Dynamics CRM environment, the following message appears: "One obligatory field is not assigned". But the obligatory fields are "Main", "Name Address" and "Street 1" and my .csv file has only got these fields with assigned values.

I don´t Know what happens.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:19 AM
  • A few questions:

Did you create an Advanced Find that includes all the fields in your csv file?

If so, did you run the Advanced find and export to Excel using Dynamic Worksheet

Did you use the header from the Excel spreadsheet as the header file for your import

Did you use the Contact guid to map Bank Account to your Contact

Did you allow the Import Tool to automatically generate the Data Map

If there is an error or missing field, the Import Tool will show you which field it is as you go through the wizard

Check the message just under the Data Map as you go through the wizard, there will be a link to more information about which field is missing

You must include the missing field in your csv file

Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have run the Advanced Find and the Import Tool again and the Import Tool shows a message with the forgotten field: "Object Type". I have assigned to this field the value "Contact" and to the field "Main" the value of the field "Complet Name" and I can import!!!

Thank you.

Friday, December 12, 2008 10:34 AM