Cannot install Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install WHS on a Dell 4500, 640mb RAM, 64mb AGP, DVD-RW.  However, during installation, it fails with error messages stating that it cannot copy the file atapi.sys, et. al.  I swapped out the cable & DVD drive, but get the same (or similar) messages each time.  Sometimes it cannot copy other files.

The installation DVD is original - from a MS package, complete with hologram.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does installation just hang on copying atapi.sys or do you get a message saying something like "Setup is unable to copy file......"

If you get the message, you have a memory problem and need to fit different modules.

If it just hangs, and you have a WD hard disk and VIA chipset motherboard, then I believe there to be a fundamental problem with installing Vista and, seemingly, Home Server on that HDD/Chipset combination ! I have encountered this myself on a number of occasions (I have built, installed and supported over 4,000 PCs over the years - everything from Windows 3 to Vista, Server 2000, Server 2003, Exchange, ISA servers etc., so my hardware experience is quite extensive. And, by the way, properly set up Windows on reliable hardware never crashes - with the only possible exception being Windows ME, and that was caused by Norton AV most of the time !).

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does installation just hang on copying atapi.sys or do you get a message saying something like "Setup is unable to copy file......"

If you get the message, you have a memory problem and need to fit different modules.

If it just hangs, and you have a WD hard disk and VIA chipset motherboard, then I believe there to be a fundamental problem with installing Vista and, seemingly, Home Server on that HDD/Chipset combination ! I have encountered this myself on a number of occasions (I have built, installed and supported over 4,000 PCs over the years - everything from Windows 3 to Vista, Server 2000, Server 2003, Exchange, ISA servers etc., so my hardware experience is quite extensive. And, by the way, properly set up Windows on reliable hardware never crashes - with the only possible exception being Windows ME, and that was caused by Norton AV most of the time !).

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:04 AM
  • It hangs on "setup is unable to copy file".  However, I have tried this with a Dimension 4500 and 4550, using an 80GB Maxtor drive, each having different memory modules - get the same problem.  Have checked memory modules - no errors.  Switched DVD/CD cables and DVD/CD readers with no effect.  Switched the hard drive to a machine with a VIA chipset and it works perfectly.  Conclusion:  Intel Brookdale chipset on Dell Dimension 4500/4550 is incompatible with WHS.  Thanks.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I also had similar troubles installing Windows Home Server.

I followed all the steps in this forum and they are good advice.

My setup would hang part way through the graphical progress bar screen (similar to the windows XP startup screen)

I resolved my issue by Disable USB Legacy support in the bios.

Good luck!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:01 AM