Reinstallation of an activated Legal Home version of Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• More than two years ago I installed Vista on two computers.  Things have gone great until just recently.  My wife wants me to remove Vista and put my copy of the previously activated copy of Windows XP Home onto her computer.  She prefers Windows XP.  I have stored that copy and it is not on any other computer.  The CD SET: XXXX-40895 and the product key is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX version 2002.  Before I begin to re-format the Hard disk drive, and attempt to install the software, I would like to know of any problems with reactivation of that product.  Thanks so much for your help.

Bob
    • Edited by dadbobdog Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:14 AM
    • Edited by RickImAPC Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:22 PM Edited for PII
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:02 AM

Answers

• dadbobdob,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Your question regarding installation paths is out of scope for this forum. However I will attemt to provide a solution which may or may not help youl.

The computer in question is a Sony Laptop. Which had Windows ME and was upgraded to XP with a XP Upgrade media you purchased from Sony. I'd suggest restoring the computer back to the original shipped condition (to Windows ME), and then using the XP upgrade media to put your copy of Windows XP back on the laptop.

Make sure to grab your valuable personal files off your computer before you begin the retore to Windows ME. The restore will wipe your hard drive.

I hope this helps. Thank you for contacting the WGA program forum.

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:29 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:29 PM

All replies

• Dadbobdog,

How did you acquire the copy of XP in question, thru purchase at retail or was it preinstalled on a computer?  If preinstalled, was it preinstalled on wife's computer or a different computer?

BTW that was a neat trick installing Vista two years ago, seeing as how it wasn't release to the public until Jan 2007. :-)

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:52 AM
  • I guess I was off by a year, but I remarried in 2006 and that addled me, as I am getting too old.  Anyway, I have a Sony laptop which originally had Windows ME.  I purchased the upgrade copy of Windows XP Home from Sony and it came in the regular retail package.  I never installed the copy on the laptop, but on another machine I had at the time.  I disassembled the other machine as it was obsolete.  I now have the activated copy of Windows XP and want to install it on my new wifes computer.  Thanks, I hope I can use this copy.
    • Edited by dadbobdog Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:59 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:33 AM
  • dadbobdob,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Your question regarding installation paths is out of scope for this forum. However I will attemt to provide a solution which may or may not help youl.

The computer in question is a Sony Laptop. Which had Windows ME and was upgraded to XP with a XP Upgrade media you purchased from Sony. I'd suggest restoring the computer back to the original shipped condition (to Windows ME), and then using the XP upgrade media to put your copy of Windows XP back on the laptop.

Make sure to grab your valuable personal files off your computer before you begin the retore to Windows ME. The restore will wipe your hard drive.

I hope this helps. Thank you for contacting the WGA program forum.

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:29 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:29 PM