none
Mobile version someday? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Maybe not initially, but is there a mobile version planned for the future?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:32 PM

All replies

• This hasn't been a high priority for us for the initial launch, but as a heavy smartphone user I'd really like to see us do this at some point.

So as long as lots of folks start asking for it, I'm sure we can do something :-)
    STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:37 PM
  • How many of you would use a mobile version of forums if it was available?

-Andrew
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:29 PM
  • I would :-)
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:42 PM
  • I would too. I'm at a conference and got an alert about this thread on my mobile phone. I couldn't read it until I opened my laptop.
    Jeff Day, Community Platform GPM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Jeff Day, STO said:

I would too. I'm at a conference and got an alert about this thread on my mobile phone. I couldn't read it until I opened my laptop.

Jeff Day, Community Platform GPM

I've got a partial solution that I'd like us to do which is send the contents of the post in the email alert you get.  Then you don't have to go to the forums site at all if you have enough data there.  Currently we were limitted with how much data we could send in the alert but we're changing this.
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:37 PM
  • I don't have a mobile phone that is capable of doing that so perhaps my opinion would be different if I did, but I want to take the other point of view.

I often see threads in which the person asking the question is away from their development system, so they must post code from memory. For many or most MSDN forums, it might be disadvantageous for the forums to be accessed even more using a device separate from the development system.

Okay, now where is the submit button? Oh, there it is; it has moved again.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Andrew:

As the proud owner of a very dumb phone, I would vote against any resources being spent on mobile functionality while there are so many issues to deal with in the current implementation.

It's looking much better though!
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Edited by davewilk Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:58 PM tweak/typos
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Andrew,

I would 100% agree with David.

As you no doubt have limited resources don't use them for non-essentials but use them for getting the problems out of 4.0 (especially things that at the moment are worse than the state in 3.0)
    WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:07 PM
  • I have LinkedIn and Twitter apps on my BlackBerry phone. With the maturity that mobile platforms have today, I think it makes sense to have mobile version for MSDN Forums as well. Also, loading entire forum content would not be a viable choice on mobile phonse. So I think, loading some maximum number (eg. 10 or 20) of latest messages in selected forums would be simple to load on smart phones and this way, instant responses can be provided by SME's to the needy.

Any thoughts??

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:13 PM
  • I think it depends on whether someone is asking or answering questions, but in both cases, unless the mobile device is also the development system, the use of the mobile device for the forums is limited. If someone is asking a question then it usually helps to have the development environment to refer to and to try answers. If someone is answering questions, they often need to have files available to refer to and it helps to be able to try answers before posting. It takes more time to try code before posting as an answer, but I usually do. A mobile device interface will increase the amount of errors in answers.

Ooops, sorry; I guess I said the same thing a few months ago except using different words. Well I guess I will post this anyway.

Note that "makes sense to have mobile version " and "loading entire forum content would not be a viable choice on mobile phonse " is a contradiction.

Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:15 PM
  • I understand that, it is not practical to answer all threads without refering code or trying out some samples. But SME's would answer at least decent number of questions right away or provide suggestions or ask for more information etc.

When I tried to browse to MSDN forums on my BlackBerry, I got error due to exceeding downloaded content size limitation. But I do send/receive emails, Twtter feeds, LinkedIn posts conveniently on the same device. So I just thought it would be nice to get just top few latest unread posts on the forums that I choose (actively contribute) and get notification when new post arrives just like an email alert or instant message alert(if chosen). I guess, this would definitely help answerers respond quicker than until they get to computer and browse forums and helps posters as well by alerting them about response on phone.

Also, I didnt quite understand how those two statements contradict. When I meant mobile version, it was  to avoid loading all posts in a page like in browser but just loading limited content suitable for smart phones(for eg. latest n unread posts in a subcribed forum).

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:11 AM
  • I just thought it would be nice to get just top few latest unread posts on the forums that I choose (actively contribute) and get notification when new post arrives just like an email alert or instant message alert(if chosen).
    Try the  RSS version of  My Threads?   I�??m not sure if there is an RSS version of My Alerts too...   Nope.  Just My Threads.   If there was one for My Alerts you could create a kind of �??Interested Parties�?� list of threads that you wanted to follow but not necessarily reply to.   However, My Alerts by itself does allow such an implementation of it, ordered by most recent post, if desired.

Oh.   You can configure My Alerts.   One of the options of Edit Delivery is to send to a mobile device.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:38 PM