Windows problem RRS feed

• Question

•  2 days ago after I rebooted my puter, windows XP professional was not working. My toolbar, shortcuts, icons etc. will not come up. I got a message that my windows were not "genuine". I bought the windows product key for $149.00 & entered it. I then entered the key but it's still not working. It gives me a message saying the key is entered but that's it.

Do I need to "authenticate" or validate it somehow? I cannot find a way to do it because all suggestions seem to require windows to do it which I do not have.

I also got an error message about windows explorer.exe appversion 6.0.2900.2180 modname deskbar.dll.

I need to get windows up & running fast. I cannot access anything without it. Help!

Monday, January 29, 2007 7:52 PM

Answers

• Subline,

The results of a Google search for deskbar.dll lead me to believe that deskbar.dll is a Browser Helper Object, the presence of which is a strong indicator that your computer is infested with so-called adware and possibly more nefarious malware programs.

May I suggest that you take advantage of the dedicated spyware removal forums at www.tomcoyote.org and/or www.castlecops.com and/or www.spywareinfo.com?

Monday, January 29, 2007 10:24 PM

All replies

• Subline,

The results of a Google search for deskbar.dll lead me to believe that deskbar.dll is a Browser Helper Object, the presence of which is a strong indicator that your computer is infested with so-called adware and possibly more nefarious malware programs.

May I suggest that you take advantage of the dedicated spyware removal forums at www.tomcoyote.org and/or www.castlecops.com and/or www.spywareinfo.com?

Monday, January 29, 2007 10:24 PM
  •  

Hello,

I'm having the same problem as discribed above.  I need to know how I can fix this problem.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

LuisAl

Sunday, February 18, 2007 2:55 AM
  •  SublimeTorment wrote:

2 days ago after I rebooted my puter, windows XP professional was not working. My toolbar, shortcuts, icons etc. will not come up. I got a message that my windows were not "genuine". I bought the windows product key for $149.00 & entered it. I then entered the key but it's still not working. It gives me a message saying the key is entered but that's it.

Do I need to "authenticate" or validate it somehow? I cannot find a way to do it because all suggestions seem to require windows to do it which I do not have.

I also got an error message about windows explorer.exe appversion 6.0.2900.2180 modname deskbar.dll.

I need to get windows up & running fast. I cannot access anything without it. Help!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Please note that if you beleive an issue is related to Windows Genuine Advantage, we request all users run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thanks,
    Darin

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:33 PM