Server Install: Can't install WHS at all. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so my dad got a new Dell and is no longer using his old pc. His pc isn't too bad, but it isn't anywhere near super. The old pc's specs are...

AMD Athlon XP 1.466 ghz
    1024mbs PC133
    ATi Radeon 9500 w/ 128mbs
    Netgear 10/100 networking PCI card
    Creative Audigy 5.1 surround sound PCI card
    Creative 48Xmx CD-Rom drive
    Random DVD drive from my old Dell 4700

Basically, it gets through the "Windows is loading files..." screen, and then gets to the green scrolling bar that says "Microsoft Corporation" after that. It does both of those seamlessly and quite quickly for that pc. However, after that the screen goes black and stays black forever after that. I started it up again as im writing this, but I had already tried installing it four times last night before I gave up. That is my fastest spare computer I have, the other is a 433mhz Intel Celeron w/ 256mbs ram and isn't worth setting much up on, except maybe some linux distribution. Anyhow, could someone please let me know what the problem is? Should I take out the sound card or networking card and see what happens then? It has to be a hardware conflict. Im going to pop the dvd into my computer and see if it gets past that screen then post back. Thanx!

Edit: I think it might be the ATi Radeon 9500 graphics card. I remember an error with Windows Vista RC1 where if your graphics card wasn't supported, then you would be able to see it starting up, but you wouldn't be able to see the setup menus.

Edit 2: I've swapped the ATi Radeon 9500 with an ATi Rage Theater...see if that does the trick.

Edit 3: That didn't do the trick, im going to burn another disc.  I think the first disc burned incorrectly.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For a start, ensure a CRC check on the DVD, it is by far the most common problem. Some people have had to resort to transferring the drive they used for burning the DVD to the Server, to get a 'good' install.

Remove the sound card, not needed in a server.

Remove the CD-Rom, not needed also.

Ensure you have Server 2003 drivers available for the other items.

The one thing you haven't mentioned, is the hard drive(s), do they need drivers and do they show up correctly in the setup?

HTH,

Colin

Monday, June 25, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Ill try taking everything not needed out, and placing the burner in the server.  Im not sure about the hard drives, because the main problem I am having is that the screen goes black after the scrolling green vista bar goes away.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 6:13 PM
  • You should be able to get into the BIOS (setup) while the POST screen is displayed when you first switch it on - usually one has to press the Del key to get into Setup, but it should display which key it is. That'll take you into a series of text screens, one of which should enable you to find out.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Definitely suggest you try minimizing the amount of add-on hardware in the machine by pulling unneeded cards, etc. if the machine has an onboard video connection, then I'd suggest using that one and yanking the video card as well.

Also, make sure you're running the latest BIOS version since if you haven't updated it since getting the machine, that could be a big factor in whether or not this works.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:49 PM
  • And FWIW, April CTP ran well on a PIII-600 w/ 512MB ram.

As for the boot going black, can you press F8 and get any boot options say maybe logging turned on. that will at least save a text file to a HD that you can pull off and see the last driver or process getting loaded that may hang.

Also, how long are you letting that black screen sit? I had install issues with an early vista and left it on overnight after getting frustrated and sometime b/t 9Pm and 9AM it got past that black screen....

Bobby

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:54 PM
  •  

Bigern1990, I'm having the exact same problem.  I thought it was funny that you and I have the same exact graphics card even though you said that didn't fix your problem.  I have everything but the graphics card and the onboard NVIDIA 10/100 network card disabled from the BIOS.  I'm hoping mine is just a bad disk.  Did you ever have any luck with this?  Thanks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:50 PM