none
Horrible Menus!!!!

General discussion

• How do people use this site... the menus are totally unusable.

Suppose you are on this page

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home?category=sharepoint

And you want to go inside "SharePoint 2010 - Search"

Common sense would say that click on SharePoint 2010 - search and you will go inside the forum. But it turns out that here... I must unselect the other 14 forums in order to go inside Search.

Isn't this completely nonsensical??

Am I doing something wrong?

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No, you're not doing anything wrong. These forum labels are new since the last update, and I think they still need a little tweaking.

A quicker way to only select the 'SharePoint 2010 - Search' subforum is to click on the [ view all ] link, clear the checkbox next to 'Select all', check the 'SharePoint 2010 - Search' checkbox, and then click the Submit button.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:52 PM
  • How do people use this site... the menus are totally unusable.

Suppose you are on this page

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home?category=sharepoint

And you want to go inside "SharePoint 2010 - Search"

Common sense would say that click on SharePoint 2010 - search and you will go inside the forum. But it turns out that here... I must unselect the other 14 forums in order to go inside Search.

Isn't this completely nonsensical??

Am I doing something wrong?

One thing that is not completely obvious is that the "grey box" is a search box (you can type in it). So currently the fastest way to do what you want might be to clear the list and then enter your desired forum.

(One thing I have noticed about this search is that it requires an exact match, not an AND or OR of the words).

Wyck's suggestion of making the forum names into links is a good one though.

But for me the best way to use the forums is to create links for the forums (or combinations of forums) that interest you, and save them as browser favorites/bookmarks. That way you only have to mess with the forum selection once for each combination, so it doesn't really matter how clunky it is.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:32 AM