POWER PACK 1 and Impact on customized WHS IIS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, I've been avoiding the Power Pack 1 update since I have my HP MediaSMart WHS box "tweaked" and have added wordpress, mysql, PHP and I've also added about 10 personal blog sites under IIS

I want to update to keep my server running properly and now that PP2 is out, I want to get the server all updated and up to date.

HERE IS MY CONCERN:

If I install Power Pack 1 and eventually 2, will this have ANY impact on my server settings in regards to IIS, Wordpress, etc?   In other words, will is MESS WITH MY SERVER and reset IIS or do anything to destroy all my settings etc?

I guess I wouldn't worry too much about this if I can simply back the server itself up, maybe clone the system drive?  Any info on this would be great, Im scared that It will kill my customized server and cause me to have to reinstall all MySQL, Wordpress, etc and this can be hours and hours of configurations!

Thanks for any help!
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:34 PM

Answers

• Just an Update on this. I don't have a machine with SATA that I can clone the WHS disks on, so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and go for it.  I had a spare HP MediaSmart EX-487 laying around so before I updated my main server I did an install of PHP, MYSQL and Wordpress so I'd have a "hot spare" available to import my DB onto incase my original server crapped out after a PP1 update

Last night I updated all fixes and the PP1, and then checked my server, 100% fine, working like a charm
    So, I went for it all and updated with PP2 - no problems at all and my original wordpress, mysql and php installs and all my other websites on the WHS box were also performing as expected.

SO, THE ANSWER IS NO - INSTALLING PP1 or PP2 will not mess with any custom websites or other installations such as PHP, MYSQL, WORDPRESS, etc...

Thanks for all the help!
    • Marked as answer by WHSGuy Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:57 PM

All replies

• Avoiding Power Pack 1 only on behalf of the risk having to redo some configuration eventually is not a good idea, since it fixes some very serious bugs, which may cause data loss and for sure keep the disks much busier than they need to be.
    So you should not longer wait with applying the updates.

On the other side: Using Windows Home Server outside of its supported usage specifications may be possible, but you face the risk, that an unsupported feature may not work any more as it did before.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Thanks, I have only a single disk in there, so file corruption isn't an issue.  I run some websites that I'd rather not take down for a few days while I reconfigure, so it's a simple question for someone that truly knows the inner workings of PP1 and PP2

DOES IT MESS WITH ANY CONFIG SETTINGS ON IIS??? 
    WILL IT KILL MY WEBSITES I'VE ADDED???
    WILL IT BREAK PHP /MYSQL CONFIGS???

Someone from MS WHS team, can you please reply?  I've asked this on numerous WHS forums and am getting no where

Nothing I've added into my server is crazy, just tweaking the IIS to do "more" with it....I just wanted to make sure before do any PP1 or PP2 updates that it won't totally mess up  my IIS settings.... The WHS home page is all intact and I haven't messed with that, just added several sites under IIS by doing "add web site" and adding HTML folders on the D drive with my HTML and wordpress content

THANKS FOR ANY HELP, IM DESPERATE FOR AN ANSWER!!!
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Yes (because Power Pack 1 replaces components of the Windows Home Server web sites), maybe (depending on what exactly you've done), and maybe (I don't use MySQL or PHP on my server).

The level of customization you've done is well beyond what's supported by Microsoft, I'm afraid. The best advice I can give you is to be careful; it's unlikely that anybody is going to be able to tell you that it's safe (or unsafe) for you in particular to install Power Pack 1 with no issues/reconfiguration required. Probably (if you've truly made no changes to the default web sites) you'll be okay.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:43 PM
  • And even if it changes something - its a good time to check the own disaster recovery abilities for your servers configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I don't mind if it updates the IIS Default website stuff, that's fine.  I just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to completely MESS UP my other sites I've added.

I do realize Im doing more with WHS and IIS than what was intended, but I have this server that uses very little power and sits idle the majority of the time....I figured I'd use IIS to host some personal sites I have and also use wordpress to do some of these sites.

I guess I'll give this a shot....

BUT, one last question.....Since there really is no "server image" to avoid a disaster on the server itself (OS, System drive, etc) is there a way I can hook up the SATA drive and CLONE the drive bit for bit onto another spare SATA disk?    Anyone done this? 

this way I can CLONE the system disk, put it aside, and if PP1 or PP2 craps out all my IIS, PHP and MYSQL settings for my additional sites I can simply plop the cloned disk in and boot....Any ideas on this? Or when MS may release a WHS SYSTEM BACKUP instead of a recovery disk?

Thanks for all the help and advice....

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:35 PM
  • The safest thing to do would be to clone all your disks; they are interrelated, and Power Pack 1 made some significant changes to Drive Extender, which may affect files on other disks in the storage pool.

As for system disk backup, given the product focus I see no great likelihood that it's going to be a priority in an update to this version of the product. As for future versions, Microsoft has not announced any features for any potential future versions of the product, so there's nothing I could tell you there. You can go to Connect and suggest/vote on suggestions to this effect, however. Microsoft does look at and consider those suggestions.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:44 PM
  • THanks, I only have one disk in there since I haven't updated to PP1 I didn't dare have 2 disks in there to avoid corruption issues....I regularly back up all my data on my D: Drive to another NAS device in my basement via a batch file.  

Now I just need to find an application to CLONE the disk image of the system drive (the only disk in my system) and then once I know the cloned drive works, I'll then attempt to install PP1 and PP2 and see what happens.   I'll be sure to post updated info once I get this done but I'd like to do it soon

Any advice on cloning? Can I do it within WHS and just install the second drive in WHS but not add it to the storage pool?
    Or do I need to remove the system disk and mount that in another Windows system along with the to be cloned drive?

Thanks again for all your help, I think cloning the disk is the only way I'll try this PP1 and PP2 update....
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:51 PM
  • There are many publishers of disk cloning software. I happen to like Acronis...
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Thanks, I found this on some searches on "clone WHS system disk"

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-home-server-whs/27150-clone-whs-primary-drive.html

This seems to work for folks, my #1 issue is Im using an HP mediasmart, no CD, No floppy and no keyboard, mouse or monitor so either I find a hardware solution for copying/cloning or something that works within a windows session....

Im assuming I can take out the WHS main system disk and plop that onto another Windows machine (not boot from it) and try the cloning from there....this looks to be more of a project than I wanted, but easier than reinstalling and reconfiguring PHP, MYSQL, Wordpress and IIS for all my additional sites
    • Unmarked as answer by WHSGuy Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Just an Update on this. I don't have a machine with SATA that I can clone the WHS disks on, so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and go for it.  I had a spare HP MediaSmart EX-487 laying around so before I updated my main server I did an install of PHP, MYSQL and Wordpress so I'd have a "hot spare" available to import my DB onto incase my original server crapped out after a PP1 update

Last night I updated all fixes and the PP1, and then checked my server, 100% fine, working like a charm
    So, I went for it all and updated with PP2 - no problems at all and my original wordpress, mysql and php installs and all my other websites on the WHS box were also performing as expected.

SO, THE ANSWER IS NO - INSTALLING PP1 or PP2 will not mess with any custom websites or other installations such as PHP, MYSQL, WORDPRESS, etc...

Thanks for all the help!
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:57 PM