VS 2010 Setup Project RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently migrated to VS 2010 from VS2008. Our application is targeted for Windows 2000 host. The setup project (MSI) built with VS2008 used to install fine on Win2000 box, but the new MSIs built by VS2010 doesn't install on Win2000, it installs fine on XP box though.

i didn't find any such things that MSIs won't work on old OS, I know officialy support for 2000 has ended. Any thoughts on the same?

• Moved by Larcolais Gong Friday, August 20, 2010 3:40 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:15 AM

Answers

• I logged this as defect on connect site. MS kept it open for few months admitted it as defect and then closed it saying won't be fixed.
    • Marked as answer by Yatish Ram Monday, February 14, 2011 10:44 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:43 AM

All replies

• Did you add a Setup Project to your solution to produce the MSI? If so, what Framework version did it target? A VS 2010 Setup Project will target .NET Framework 4.0 by default, but there is a dropdown list for available framework versions in the Add New Project dialog that will let you change the version.

I suspect that, as .NET Frameworks 3.5 and 4.0 do not support Windows 2000, that is your issue.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:59 PM
  • The target framework of the MSI is set to Framework 2.0. MSI builds fine without any warning or error, when installing it on Windows 2000; it stops with the message "The installer was interrupted before [Setup name] could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again."

Even if I log the verbose out put of MSI execution, it doesn't say anything except for DIRCA_CheckFX returns the value 3, which means it fails the framework check. But this is again a black box error, where there is no documentation available from Microsoft for MSI error codes.

The project targets only Framework 2.0 throughout, and the same MSI installs fine, when built with VS2008, but it doesn't when built with VS2010.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:54 PM
  • I am in the exact same situation seeing the exact same results.  Haven't found any solutions yet.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hi Yatish,

Based on your description, it seems that your concerns is more related with Deployment.

Here is Visual Studio Setup and Installation Forum.

I would recommend that you could consult your concerns in ClickOnce or C#/VB forum.

You will get more helpful suggestions there.

ClickOnce:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winformssetup/threads

VB:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vbgeneral/threads

C#:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/csharpgeneral/threads

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 3:40 AM
  • I logged this as defect on connect site. MS kept it open for few months admitted it as defect and then closed it saying won't be fixed.
    • Marked as answer by Yatish Ram Monday, February 14, 2011 10:44 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:43 AM