Is there a Sunset version that can cope with the UK Microsoft Money data files? RRS feed

• Question

• If not what options do I have to keep access to my data?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:11 AM

All replies

• Do you have the Money 5 UK installation disc? If so, see Bob Peel's suggestion to create a new installation disc - http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx  ... soon!

<Ian Ringrose> wrote in message news:6bdb82b6-b606-4004-80ba-5156e9856b3a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

If not what options do I have to keep access to my data?

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:34 AM
  • To be clear: the reason US Money Plus users need the Sunset version is that Money Plus (pre-Sunset) reinstallations require online activation and the activation servers are going away in February of 2011. M05 versions don't require online activation to function--they just require the patches to function with a file written by the patched version.

I don't agree that "there is no reason to think this online update will not still be available after all support for Money is stopped". While I can't say I recall an "official" word on the topic, the Money Internet Updates use a non-standard server side process and capability unique to the Microsoft Money team. Unlike, say, the Sunset version downloads from downloads.microsoft.com, continued support and, presumably, funding from the Money group is required to keep the Money Internet Updates feeds coming. Expect M05 Internet Updates to M05.1 after January of 2011 at your own considerable risk.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:47 PM
  • The data in Money 2005 files will be required by some for tax and accounting purposes. Microsoft can stop development and support of a Money version but leaving it unusable on reinstallation will not be acceptable. This will be why the initial announcement that US Money installations would have to be installed and activated by January 2011 was always ludicrous and the Sunset version had to be produced.

At the very least, an official downloadable patch for Money 2005 is required though how this could be produced when the Money 2005 support team is long since disbanded is difficult to understand. The alternatives are a Money 2005 Sunset version or maintaining the server.

Sure, from the users' PoV all of what you write is true and Microsoft "had" or "has" to do all of those things. I can assure you they don't share our views about the necessity of doing or acceptability of not doing these things.

I was actually somewhat surprised that a) they committed to doing Sunset (they didn't have any plan in place to do this when they announced they were giving up on Money) and b) that they followed through on the committment.

So, I reiterate, assume that the M05 Internet Updates will stay available or be repackaged into some other form at your own risk. Microsoft doesn't feel any obligation to help users keep Money working in perpetuity.

Sunday, August 1, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I have followed the advice in the MVPS link above and created a standalone 1105 installation CD.

Worked fine on my Win7 32bit installation and didn't require any downloads to work.

With regard to the Sunset version, I wonder if you could export UK Money data as QIF files and then import them ?

Lets be careful out there!
    Friday, November 26, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Am using Sunset version of Money in UK having converted using QIF files - much better than all the alternative packages. However have not been able to bring over Categories with the QIF file. Anyone doing this?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Many thanks Dominic - this solved all my problems. Having just bought a new laptop and reinstalled Money 2005 onto it from CD-ROM I couldn't find any way to make it open my old files (nor the US Sunset edition), till I found your download link above. I was about to have to switch to another program. Hopefully I can now stick with Money for a few more years!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:05 PM
  • I moved my UK Money 2001 file over to Sunset edition 12 months ago using QIF files.

I originally had MS Money 99 which I subsequently upgraded to Money 2001 Financial Suite. At some point I lost my original activation code so was unable to migrate to another PC. The Sunset edition has now resolved that problem.

With 10 years worth of data to transfer over it took me a full day to migrate and tidy up the data.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:24 PM
  • HELP !

can anyone provide me with copy of the 'Money 2005 update 1105' file,

i have rebuilt my laptop recently and completely forgot about this.

hence i cannot open my money file, :-(

any help will be greatly appreciated,

thanks,

• Edited by Brave_Rob Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:45 AM
  • EUREKA !

Thank you,

Apologies, i had searched for help on the topic and didn't start at the top of this forum, :-(

Cheers,

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:08 PM