IIS admin service won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,i have a WHS with all latest updates etc, for the last few months i have not been able to get onto the console, and none of my home PCs have been able to connect to the server either, having got a monitor attached to the server i can see that the IIS admin service is not starting, when i try to start it manually i get an error: cannot find the specified module, error 2.

Is there any way of repairing IIS? i know you can uninstall and reinstall but that would leave me with a blank web site set up and none of the required home console stuff, i cannot save the existing config as when i open the IIS console i get nothing there.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Could be corrupted Metabase. Please try instructions overhere. If not you may try and reinstall ISS or do server reinstall. Please note only last option is officially supported way to fix.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:02 PM
  • hi, i have done the restore of previous metabase.xlm and the schema, the IIS admin service now starts and i get a whs welcome page but then when i go to press logon, i get cannot display web page again. so i guess it is working but not properly.

you know of any other way to get it working without reinstalling the OS altogether?

Thanks again

Chris

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Sorry the URL has changed - http://fix.lazyjeff.com/2009/09/sbs-2003-iis-won-start-try-metabase.html
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:21 AM