Case Numbers limitation in CRM 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

Just wondering, what is the maximum number of Cases that can be created using the out of the box Auto-numbering feature for Case entity in CRM 4?

Thanks
    Pawan
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Ignoring the suffix (which is a unique identifier, but not part of the number) there are 5 digits available. So the theoretical maximum is only 99,999. I've no idea what happens when this limit is reached -- I presume that the autonumbering system would roll over to 6 or 7 digits automatically?

NB
    • Marked as answer by P Dandawate Monday, November 30, 2009 12:22 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• Ignoring the suffix (which is a unique identifier, but not part of the number) there are 5 digits available. So the theoretical maximum is only 99,999. I've no idea what happens when this limit is reached -- I presume that the autonumbering system would roll over to 6 or 7 digits automatically?

NB
    • Marked as answer by P Dandawate Monday, November 30, 2009 12:22 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Hi Pawan,

I'm guessing it is pretty high.  THe auto number is NNNN-AAAAAA where N is a number and A is an alphanumeric.  So we can have at least 34^6 == 191 million in the alphanumeric portion of the case id along.  Multiple that by the number portion and I think you will have db performance issues way before running out of case ids.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:30 PM
  • This came up recently in another thread and tested http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmdevelopment/thread/fcfba208-4eb3-4810-90e3-720d3a518c40/

The upshot is Neil is right, it goes to 100000.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:47 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hi

thanks every one for taking a time out to answer my question, yes the numeric part of the Case Number is "int" type and hence rolls over to the next increment.

Cheers for that.

Regards
    Pawan
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Hi

thanks every one for taking a time out to answer my question, yes the numeric part of the Case Number is "int" type and hence rolls over to the next increment.

Cheers for that.

Regards
    Pawan
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:24 PM