Remote Web Access only works for a couple of minutes RRS feed

• General discussion

• any ideas what might be going on? I have set port forwarding on my router for port 443 and until recently everything has been working fine. Now after starting and stopping RWA it only works for a couple of minutes and I then get certificate or 404 errors.

I have reset my router and reapplied the forwarding to no avail. The only sure way of getting it to work longer term is to DMZ the server which I obviously don't want to do.

The repair button for RWA in dashboard server settings is greyed out.

Do you think it is something to do with WHS or could it be a router issue?

Thanks

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:58 PM

All replies

• You are accessing by httpS:// ? What happens if you forward Port 80 and try http:// ?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Forwarding port 80 and trying http = 

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Are you doing this from inside your network or from the Internet?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:37 PM
  • currently inside my network
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:24 PM
  • shields up reports 80 and 443 open
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:28 PM
  • just tried a brand new router and the same problem exists. I can get it working but it only lasts a minute or two unless DMZ is enabled. 
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:40 PM
  • currently inside my network

Have you tested it from outside - it will only work correctly from within if your router supports loopback and you are using  something like xxxx.homeserver.com as the address. I have no idea why it works for a short time and then stops nor why it would work when in a DMZ, particularly if you are testing from within your network - which takes port forwarding out of the equation.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Weird, now works from outside - which is good as that's where I need it!. But it always used to work from inside as well as outside. No idea what's going on myself. Now wondering if a router f/w upgrade has been applied by my ISP (which might explain me having to set up forwarding again) and any support for loopback removed.
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Excellent - glad it's working again.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Spoke too soon. not working externally any more. Going to try restoring server back a few weeks to when I think it worked
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:53 PM
  • If I open dashboard and then server settings and go to the RWA tab I get a message that it is updating and then available. RWA then works and GRC shows 443 open. A few moments later (? 1-2 mins) it stops working and GRC shows 443 stealth.  I get the same behaviour if I turn it off and then on again. I can consistently get it to do this. Why would the port get opened but then close pretty soon afterwards?
    • Edited by Rheumatoid Friday, May 3, 2013 8:59 AM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 7:41 AM
  • As a test, try forwarding Port 443 to another https:// site on your network (printer?) and see if the same happens. That would either confirm or otherwise whether it's a WHS problem.

Friday, May 3, 2013 12:41 PM
  • forwarded to printer but that thing sleeps all of the time so wasn't much help. I forwarded to my desktop for a few minutes and the port remained open all of the time according to GRC. I then forwarded back to the server and 443 has been open over 15 mins now but I have not touched the server or tried to access it yet. What do you suggest I try to do - ? access it an see what happens?
    Friday, May 3, 2013 2:58 PM