none
I reinstalled Home Server Connector on a replacement primary drive now WHS has duplicate computer names RRS feed

• Question

• I had to replace my primary hard drive on my computer named NIXON. After I reinstalled the Connector Windows Home servers has two computers named NIXON.  I would like to keep the old Barak because I have backups on the old NIXON.  Any suggestions?
    I tried the below help, but no sucess.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=261462&wa=wsignin1.0

WINDOWS HOME SERVER HomeDownloadsProduct KeysFeedbackSurveys
    Remove from Dashboard
    Can't Remove Old Computer by rmcohen
     Closed
    as Fixed 

Type:  Bug
    ID:  261462
    Opened:  3/4/2007 9:20:16 AM
    Access Restriction:  Public
    Workaround(s)
    view | add
    not clear to me how to remove an old computer entry. I haven't been able to spot any options for this.

I had a Vista computer named BOB set up originally and entered into the Server's logs and such. Then I rebuilt that computer and reinstalled Vista. I again called it BOB.

I now have two entries for BOB, one in black and one in gray. I don't know how to get rid of the grayed entry and because it is no longer being backed up I'm told that my server health is not good.

Details (expand)
    Repro Steps
    See above.
    Expected Results
    Need some way to take a system off of the server.
    What are the CAB Numbers from the TALQ Log submission tool?
    Not Given
    File Attachments
    File Name  Submitted By  Submitted On  File Size   
    talq.zip (restricted)  rmcohen
    3/4/2007  -  
    • Comments (7)
    • Workarounds (3)
    Add a comment
    Posted by sklipke on 3/4/2007 at 6:08 PM
    I also have this situation; where I installed Vista Home premium (upgrade) onto an old laptop and backed it up onto WHS.

This laptop failed to complete the windows activate, so I formatted the machine and installed Vista again and successfully activated. Both times the laptop was given the same name ...

Now I have a grayed out machine I can not remove from WHS, as well as the coloured machine that I can successfully backup.
    Posted by lanrongwen on 3/10/2007 at 12:55 AM
    Now in the workaround you remove it from the registry, but what happens to any backups and other such files a computer may have added to the server?
    Posted by Microsoft on 3/14/2007 at 10:27 AM
    rmcohen,
    The program module that will clean up the Computers and Backup page has been included in the product in a later build than the Beta 2 1301 build you are on. In the mean time you can try these steps to eliminate unwanted entries.

There are two things you’ll want to do to solve this problem:

1.    Remove the server’s registry setting for this orphaned computer
    a.    Open regedit on the server and browse to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients
    b.    Find the key/folder with the GUID matching the orphaned computer (you can do this by looking at the machine number entry under the GUID)
    c.    Delete the key/folder with the GUID matching the orphaned computer

2.    Remove the backup config files for this orphaned computer
    a.    Open Windows Explorer on on the server
    b.    Browse to D:\folders\
    c.    Find the folder GUID with the .dat files inside (this is the backup database storage folder)
    d.    Delete any .dat files that begin with the orphaned machine name.

Thank You,
    Dave Meyer
    Beta Support Engineer
    Windows Home Server
    Posted by ted333 on 3/17/2007 at 5:27 PM
    Before removing the machine using the registry workaround I used the console, View Backups and set all backups for the problem PC to 'Delete at next Backup Cleanup', the ran a 'Backup Cleanup' which hopefully removes the unwanted back ups.
    Posted by skaterpunk0187 on 3/28/2007 at 5:09 PM
    Ok but what if the old pc name and the reinstalled pc name are the same then how do you know that registry entry to delete? i know it has something to do with the GUID so how do i find what is the GUID of the reinstalled windows?
    Posted by Catalina588 on 4/6/2007 at 8:13 AM
    In console, right-click on the old (non-existent) Bob computer entry and select "Turn Off Backups".
    Among other benefits, doing that will stop the incessant messages that Bob has not been backup up in 12 days and that your network health is critical. Figuring that out made my day because my wife stopped telling me the computer was critical and would I look at it :-)
    - Pete
    Posted by Ablepc on 3/25/2009 at 1:57 AM

Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:46 PM

All replies

• I had to replace my primary hard drive on my computer named NIXON. After I reinstalled the Connector Windows Home servers has two computers named NIXON.  I would like to keep the old Barak because I have backups on the old NIXON.  Any suggestions?
    I tried the below help, but no sucess.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=261462&wa=wsignin1.0

WINDOWS HOME SERVER HomeDownloadsProduct KeysFeedbackSurveys
    Remove from Dashboard
    Can't Remove Old Computer by rmcohen
     Closed
    as Fixed 

Type:  Bug
    ID:  261462
    Opened:  3/4/2007 9:20:16 AM
    Access Restriction:  Public
    Workaround(s)
    view | add
    not clear to me how to remove an old computer entry. I haven't been able to spot any options for this.

I had a Vista computer named BOB set up originally and entered into the Server's logs and such. Then I rebuilt that computer and reinstalled Vista. I again called it BOB.

I now have two entries for BOB, one in black and one in gray. I don't know how to get rid of the grayed entry and because it is no longer being backed up I'm told that my server health is not good.

Details (expand)
    Repro Steps
    See above.
    Expected Results
    Need some way to take a system off of the server.
    What are the CAB Numbers from the TALQ Log submission tool?
    Not Given
    File Attachments
    File Name  Submitted By  Submitted On  File Size   
    talq.zip (restricted)  rmcohen
    3/4/2007  -  
    • Comments (7)
    • Workarounds (3)
    Add a comment
    Posted by sklipke on 3/4/2007 at 6:08 PM
    I also have this situation; where I installed Vista Home premium (upgrade) onto an old laptop and backed it up onto WHS.

This laptop failed to complete the windows activate, so I formatted the machine and installed Vista again and successfully activated. Both times the laptop was given the same name ...

Now I have a grayed out machine I can not remove from WHS, as well as the coloured machine that I can successfully backup.
    Posted by lanrongwen on 3/10/2007 at 12:55 AM
    Now in the workaround you remove it from the registry, but what happens to any backups and other such files a computer may have added to the server?
    Posted by Microsoft on 3/14/2007 at 10:27 AM
    rmcohen,
    The program module that will clean up the Computers and Backup page has been included in the product in a later build than the Beta 2 1301 build you are on. In the mean time you can try these steps to eliminate unwanted entries.

There are two things you’ll want to do to solve this problem:

1.    Remove the server’s registry setting for this orphaned computer
    a.    Open regedit on the server and browse to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients
    b.    Find the key/folder with the GUID matching the orphaned computer (you can do this by looking at the machine number entry under the GUID)
    c.    Delete the key/folder with the GUID matching the orphaned computer

2.    Remove the backup config files for this orphaned computer
    a.    Open Windows Explorer on on the server
    b.    Browse to D:\folders\
    c.    Find the folder GUID with the .dat files inside (this is the backup database storage folder)
    d.    Delete any .dat files that begin with the orphaned machine name.

Thank You,
    Dave Meyer
    Beta Support Engineer
    Windows Home Server
    Posted by ted333 on 3/17/2007 at 5:27 PM
    Before removing the machine using the registry workaround I used the console, View Backups and set all backups for the problem PC to 'Delete at next Backup Cleanup', the ran a 'Backup Cleanup' which hopefully removes the unwanted back ups.
    Posted by skaterpunk0187 on 3/28/2007 at 5:09 PM
    Ok but what if the old pc name and the reinstalled pc name are the same then how do you know that registry entry to delete? i know it has something to do with the GUID so how do i find what is the GUID of the reinstalled windows?
    Posted by Catalina588 on 4/6/2007 at 8:13 AM
    In console, right-click on the old (non-existent) Bob computer entry and select "Turn Off Backups".
    Among other benefits, doing that will stop the incessant messages that Bob has not been backup up in 12 days and that your network health is critical. Figuring that out made my day because my wife stopped telling me the computer was critical and would I look at it :-)
    - Pete
    Posted by Ablepc on 3/25/2009 at 1:57 AM

If you want to keep the old backups, do nothing (except make sure to lock any of those backups you wish to keep).

Now if your question is actually, "How do I combine the 2 computers into 1 in the Console?", the answer is you don't.  WHS uses a GUID (not the computer name) for identification.  Therefore, a new install of a client OS will create a new GUID when the Connector software is installed (thereby creating a second computer in your computer list).  Note that everything will continue to function by leaving both.  However, you will now be using up 2 of your 10 alloted computers by keeping the old one.

The other option (in order to get back to 1 computer in your backup database) would be to do a Bare Metal Restore of your old installation back to the hardware.  When you do this, it keeps the GUID that was originally assigned to it.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:35 PM