Remote Access Always Fails RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello -

No matter what I just can't seem to connect to my Windows Home Server remotely.   

I can connect to my <site>.homeserver.com website without any problems and utilise all the functionality, but when I click on computers and try to remotely access one of the PC's all appears well initially (as the active X screen appears and it report "connecting to your server") but then fails with the error "The remote connection to the computer timed out. Please connect again".

The router config in the WHS console shows that all is ok, and remote access is correctly configured.    I also get the same error when I connect over the local LAN segment.

I can't see any service that has failed on the WHS?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:15 PM

Answers

• I think I figured it out - even though WHS console said all was ok port 4125 was not been forwarded.

Set up manually and all appears ok.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Nick
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:24 AM

All replies

• Nick, where are you when you are attempting your connection? Have you tried multiple locations, or only your workplace? Could you try at a Starbucks, Internet cafe, or the local public library?
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:22 PM
  • I'd suggest a few other things before trying another network connection:

1) On the local LAN, it sounds like you have the same issue.  Can you try another PC on the local network and see if that works?

2) What about when you skip trying to use the WHS box and instead, try to remote desktop into one of the LAN PC's directly....does that work?

These tests will help you narrow it down and maybe the experts can help you from here...
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:44 PM

• I think I figured it out - even though WHS console said all was ok port 4125 was not been forwarded.

Set up manually and all appears ok.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Nick
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:24 AM