Vertual PC 2007 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have vertual pc 2007 I have a question about activation. I am running windows Vista home Premeum (it can't run programs I want to use but they work in XP) So i want to install a vertual xp, but i read somewere on the windows genuine sight that the product key for a pc can only be used on the pc its attaced to aka the computers licence lives and dies with that pc  (i have old xp home emachines oem desktop pc)  So i wanted to know what i should do do i just use the key anyway or buy a new licence?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:25 AM

Answers

• In order to use Virtual PC 2007, you would need to purchase a separate "Full Version" Windows license.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:59 PM
  •  RichNovil wrote:

i read somewere on the windows genuine sight that the product key for a pc can only be used on the pc its attaced to aka the computers licence lives and dies with that pc 

Yes, that is correct, OEM Versions of Windows (i.e. Windows that comes Pre-installed on a computer or Windows installed from a CD that is clearly marked as OEM) can only be used on the computer it was first installed on.

However, Retail copys of Windows can be installed on as many computers as you wish, as long as it is only installed on one (1) computer at a time.

As a side note, a Virtual PC still counts as a stand alone computer. Therefore, if you have a computer running XP (even a retail copy of XP) and you decide to run a Virtual PC on it with XP installed on the Vitual PC, you would need a second XP license (i.e. a new XP key) for the Vitual PC.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:28 PM

All replies

• In order to use Virtual PC 2007, you would need to purchase a separate "Full Version" Windows license.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:59 PM
  •  RichNovil wrote:

i read somewere on the windows genuine sight that the product key for a pc can only be used on the pc its attaced to aka the computers licence lives and dies with that pc 

Yes, that is correct, OEM Versions of Windows (i.e. Windows that comes Pre-installed on a computer or Windows installed from a CD that is clearly marked as OEM) can only be used on the computer it was first installed on.

However, Retail copys of Windows can be installed on as many computers as you wish, as long as it is only installed on one (1) computer at a time.

As a side note, a Virtual PC still counts as a stand alone computer. Therefore, if you have a computer running XP (even a retail copy of XP) and you decide to run a Virtual PC on it with XP installed on the Vitual PC, you would need a second XP license (i.e. a new XP key) for the Vitual PC.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:28 PM
  • ok hears what i have:

Emachines XP OEM + it product key clealy labled oem & restore disks (not using this pc too slow)

Windows Vista Home Premium OEM + product key clealy labled oem & a cd labled windows anytime upgrade (i assume you have to buy a new licence for the cd cuz hp has the f11 restore feature)

i got the retail cd + licence i wanted to put it on my emachines pc but then i never put it on and that whould be good to use on vertual pc 2007 since its never been used? an if i decide to remove my vertual xp i may still use it on another pc has long has vertual pc dose not contain the instal?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:31 AM
  • OK ... If I have an OEM license I want to use to create an XP install in a VPC on one PC, and then later want to transfer that to another PC when it gets replaced (given I licensed it to VPC ! not a PC) doesthat mean I can ?  Or is Microsoft double-dipping by tying 2 XP installs into one physical PC ?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:27 AM