Windows 7 Validation Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm really hoping someone can help me because I am growing sick and tired of the problem I am having with Windows 7. I have a MacBook Pro and have partitioned the hard drive in order to run both Mac OS X and Windows 7 on separate partitions. I also have installed Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac OS on the Mac OS partition and I have assigned the Windows 7 partition to be the virtual hard drive on Parallels. About every month or so, when booting up in Windows I am told that my Windows 7 OS is not valid and that it needs to be validated. I enter the product key, I am told that Windows has been validated and I go about my business.....until next month, when I must repeat this exercise yet again. Furthermore, half of the time when starting Parallels from the Mac OS partition, I am told that I need to validate Windows 7 and, when entering the correct product key, I am told that the product key is invalid. So, I must reboot the computer in Windows, and then successfully validate Windows 7 from the Windows partition (which sort of defeats the purpose of having a virtual hard drive!), and finally reboot back into Mac OS in order to use Windows from the Parallels Desktop. Strangely, often times when I open Parallels and I'm asked to validate Windows (and I am told that the product key is not valid when trying to enter it from the Parallels Desktop), I then receive NO notification that Windows 7 needs to be validated when I reboot into Windows 7. In fact, when I check my Windows partition, it tells me that my Windows 7 OS has already been validated! What can I do to correct this problem? It's really beginning to annoy me! Thank you for your help.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:49 AM

Answers

• "wnjyst" wrote in message news:6beb5a08-3116-4bd0-9b8e-df1e889a69e5...
    I'm really hoping someone can help me because I am growing sick and tired of the problem I am having with Windows 7. I have a MacBook Pro and have partitioned the hard drive in order to run both Mac OS X and Windows 7 on separate partitions. I also have installed Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac OS on the Mac OS partition and I have assigned the Windows 7 partition to be the virtual hard drive on Parallels. About every month or so, when booting up in Windows I am told that my Windows 7 OS is not valid and that it needs to be validated. I enter the product key, I am told that Windows has been validated and I go about my business.....until next month, when I must repeat this exercise yet again. Furthermore, half of the time when starting Parallels from the Mac OS partition, I am told that I need to validate Windows 7 and, when entering the correct product key, I am told that the product key is invalid. So, I must reboot the computer in Windows, and then successfully validate Windows 7 from the Windows partition (which sort of defeats the purpose of having a virtual hard drive!), and finally reboot back into Mac OS in order to use Windows from the Parallels Desktop. Strangely, often times when I open Parallels and I'm asked to validate Windows (and I am told that the product key is not valid when trying to enter it from the Parallels Desktop), I then receive NO notification that Windows 7 needs to be validated when I reboot into Windows 7. In fact, when I check my Windows partition, it tells me that my Windows 7 OS has already been validated! What can I do to correct this problem? It's really beginning to annoy me! Thank you for your help.

Your problem is because you are effectively using the same install of Windows on two different computers - the bare-metal install, and the Parallels install - and Windows is only licensed on a per-computer basis. If you want to continue using either, you need a separate license for each, and each installed into its own area..

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:37 AM
  • wnjyst,

It is not a Windows 7 problem.  It is a license problem.

I also have a MacBookPro partitioned for both OSX and Windows.  I run Parallels on the Mac side as well.  I have XP running in each place, but using different licenses.  I own two different product keys and so I can legitimately do that.  That's how you have to do it.  Just because both copies are running on the same machine does not change anything.  You can only activate a license in one installation of Windows.  A second installation of Windows, even on the same computer, needs a second product key.

Colin Barnhorst
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the  Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the  Continue button, then click on the  Copy button and  Paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:01 AM
  • "wnjyst" wrote in message news:6beb5a08-3116-4bd0-9b8e-df1e889a69e5...
    I'm really hoping someone can help me because I am growing sick and tired of the problem I am having with Windows 7. I have a MacBook Pro and have partitioned the hard drive in order to run both Mac OS X and Windows 7 on separate partitions. I also have installed Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac OS on the Mac OS partition and I have assigned the Windows 7 partition to be the virtual hard drive on Parallels. About every month or so, when booting up in Windows I am told that my Windows 7 OS is not valid and that it needs to be validated. I enter the product key, I am told that Windows has been validated and I go about my business.....until next month, when I must repeat this exercise yet again. Furthermore, half of the time when starting Parallels from the Mac OS partition, I am told that I need to validate Windows 7 and, when entering the correct product key, I am told that the product key is invalid. So, I must reboot the computer in Windows, and then successfully validate Windows 7 from the Windows partition (which sort of defeats the purpose of having a virtual hard drive!), and finally reboot back into Mac OS in order to use Windows from the Parallels Desktop. Strangely, often times when I open Parallels and I'm asked to validate Windows (and I am told that the product key is not valid when trying to enter it from the Parallels Desktop), I then receive NO notification that Windows 7 needs to be validated when I reboot into Windows 7. In fact, when I check my Windows partition, it tells me that my Windows 7 OS has already been validated! What can I do to correct this problem? It's really beginning to annoy me! Thank you for your help.

Your problem is because you are effectively using the same install of Windows on two different computers - the bare-metal install, and the Parallels install - and Windows is only licensed on a per-computer basis. If you want to continue using either, you need a separate license for each, and each installed into its own area..

--

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:37 AM
  • wnjyst,

I also have a MacBookPro partitioned for both OSX and Windows.  I run Parallels on the Mac side as well.  I have XP running in each place, but using different licenses.  I own two different product keys and so I can legitimately do that.  That's how you have to do it.  Just because both copies are running on the same machine does not change anything.  You can only activate a license in one installation of Windows.  A second installation of Windows, even on the same computer, needs a second product key.

Colin Barnhorst
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:46 PM
    Answerer
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:f582668c-9ea6-493f-a9aa-2dd45087aba1...

wnjyst,

Colin Barnhorst

Point of clarification, Colin....
    A VM is NOT the 'same machine' as Windows sees it - it's a completely different set of hardware specs (which is how Windows defines the machine).
    For instance, my Win 7 VM running under VPC2007 in Vista cannot see the Radeon 9600M graphics card on this laptop - all it sees is a rather grim 8MB S3 Trio card.

--

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Yes, Noel.  As a former MVP for Virtual Machines I have the hardware emulation issues down pretty well.  ;)  In the poster's case, the vm is running on OSX.  The boot camp based Windows is running natively on Apple hardware.  But that doesn't matter for licensing because he has two installations of Windows and needs two PKs to comply.

Colin Barnhorst
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for all of your replies. I spoke with multiple tech support departments within Microsoft and they were all unable to resolve the activation issue I'm having. They've passed my case up to Level 2 tech support and they will be giving me a call back tomorrow. I'll let you all know whether I was able to resolve this issue and, if so, how I was able to resolve it. I should also add that this problem is a recent development. I had been using Parallels for over 3 months now without any activation problems. Coincidentally, this problem occurred immediately after I updated Parallels, although this may have purely been a coincidence.

There did seem to be a consensus among all of the Microsoft customer support and tech support representatives that I spoke with that I should NOT have to purchase a second license for Windows 7. Parallels is also aware of this problem and they also told me that I would not have to purchase a second license, and that Microsoft should have a work around for this issue. Whether or not I need a second license in the end remains to be seen, but initial indications from the Microsoft reps (and I spoke to 6 or 7 people from Microsoft today) are that I do not have to purchase a second license. Either way I'll let you know since there seems to be a lot of confusion among computer users whether or not this is the case.

Stay tuned.......

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Well, I had sent a support request to Parallels last night, asking them for help resolving this problem and they sent me a set of troubleshooting instructions today. They first asked me to start up Parallels and Windows 7 within Parallels and then uninstall the Parallels Tools using the "uninstall" feature in the Control Panel. Once the uninstall was complete, Windows restarted and, using the Virtual Machine menu on the Mac menu bar, I reinstalled the Parallels Tools. Again Windows restarted but again I got a message telling me that Windows needed to be activated. So, I moved on to the second set of troubleshooting instructions, rebooted the computer into the Windows 7 partition, entered CMD into the Start Menu search bar, and then entered "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt window. I noted the physical address located under the Ethernet Local Area Connection and then rebooted the computer into Mac OS. Once in Mac OS, I started up Parallels Desktop. I was told to click on the Virtual Machine menu on the Mac menu bar, click on Configuration, click on the Hardware tab in the Configuration window, and finally click on the Network option in the Hardware tab. I was supposed to then replace the MAC address listed with the physical address I had noted from the Windows 7 partition, click OK, and then restart Windows within Parallels Desktop. According to the Parallels rep, either uninstalling and reinstalling the Parallels Tools and/or changing the MAC address would solve the problem. I never completed the latter step however, since, as I was about to change the MAC address, I noticed that Windows 7 had already started up without any issues in the Parallels window, and the message in the lower right hand corner of my Parallels Windows desktop telling me that my "Windows 7 may not be genuine" had disappeared. So, I just left my MAC address as it was. All appears right with the world once again. Lastly, for those people wondering if you need to purchase a second Windows 7 license to run Windows 7 both on Parallels Desktop and on a Bootcamp Windows partition, the answer is no . You can use the same Windows 7 product key for both.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:03 AM