Moving data off of the system drive for a reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system drive of about 750GB and several data drives as well. Unfortunately, the system drive is "unhealthy" and needs replacing. I'm aware of the different procedures, but the one thing I would like to do is FIRST stop WHS from storing data on the data partition that it created on the system drive at the primary installation - and it would move all the data off to the satellite drives. That way, I can safely remove the system drive, do a reinstall and have WHS just reindex the unaffected data drives.

Can anyone advise me on this? thanks very much!
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:31 PM

All replies

• I assume you're using Windows Home Server V1. There's no supported or recommended way to force all data off the system drive. (In Windows Home Server 2011 you just move all shares to other drives via the Dashboard.)

The recommended approach is:

• Turn on duplication for all shares.
    • R/R the system drive.
    • Reinstall Windows Home Server (make sure you choose the recovery or reinstallation option).

Windows Home Server will take a long time rebuilding the DATA partition on the system drive, possibly as long as several days depending on the amount of data you have overall.

Before you start, you should peruse the FAQ section; there are some posts about the data that's at risk when a drive fails, and about how to recover data from a failed server. If you aren't presented with the reinstallation/recovery option, it's almost certainly going to be due to the way the BIOS is presenting drives to setup; there is unfortunately no guaranteed way to force the issue in this case. Rather than spend significant time (possibly many days) trying to get reinstallation to work and reintegrate your data, I would simply disconnect all but the (replacement) system drive, do a new installation, then copy data to your server's shares on drive at a time. As you finish with each drive, add it to server storage, and at the end of the process turn duplication back on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  What does R/R mean?

And what does turning off duplication accomplish for me exactly in this case?

One thing that I'm not clear on from your post is how the data from the bad system drive (the data partition, that is) will be recovered when I replace the drive with a new one.

Finally, to address your last point - so I start fresh with a new system drive and no data drives attached.  Then are you saying I copy the /DE/shares data from one drive at a time to the new system, and then add that drive to the share, effectively wiping it (data having been transferred of course)?  I guess the caveat there is to make sure the new system drive is equal or larger than the data from the first drive being transferred, right? (at least I think I understand that process now)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Ken said to turn "on" data duplication, not "off."  This allows data that is on the D partition to be duplicated on other drives; thus this data will not be lost when you do a  recovery or reinstallation.  Do not remove the data drives unless the "server recovery or server reinstallation" is not offered.    R/R means "remove and replace."

Perhaps you need to search the FAQ for server reinstallation/recovery, and read as Ken suggested.  As a minimum, I would read this one, but search and find the others that apply, as I found more than a half dozen that could apply.  Understand that it is important to have data duplication on before you attempt the server reinstallation/recovery.  It may take a while for the data to duplicate, so let it run overnight as a minimum.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks Ken.  What does R/R mean?

And what does turning off duplication accomplish for me exactly in this case?

One thing that I'm not clear on from your post is how the data from the bad system drive (the data partition, that is) will be recovered when I replace the drive with a new one.

Finally, to address your last point - so I start fresh with a new system drive and no data drives attached.  Then are you saying I copy the /DE/shares data from one drive at a time to the new system, and then add that drive to the share, effectively wiping it (data having been transferred of course)?  I guess the caveat there is to make sure the new system drive is equal or larger than the data from the first drive being transferred, right? (at least I think I understand that process now)

BullDawg
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Thanks BullDawg.  I'll read that link you sent me.  Looks like I have the room to do full duplication, so I'll do that first, then try the repair/reinstall option.

You guys have been very helpful

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Note that, depending on the exact issue with the drive, turning duplication on may or may not be successful; instead the drive may fail entirely. In this case, you might lose some or all data in some or all shares where duplication isn't turned on. You should go to the FAQ section and read the post about data risks in a drive failure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:05 PM