Moving data from WHS to WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently have an old WHS and I think it is time upgrade to the new WHS. I am planning to build a PC for WHS 2011. I am wondering if the data on my old Accer WHS is compatible with the new WHS 2011? I am planning to back up the data on my old WHS and move the drive to my new WHS (2011). Does WHS 2011 recognize the format data on a backup of old WHS?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:08 AM

All replies

• Not directly, particularly if you have more than one disk using Drive Extender - read the FAQ section of this site for recovery of data from individual WHS1 drives. Alternatively, and a better option, would be to back up the data on another computer and transfer that to WHS2011 after you have built it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Assuming by "backup" you mean the server backup functionality built into Windows Home Server V1, the backups are just files (or hard links to files) in the file system of the backup disk. There's nothing magical about them; you can copy them anywhere you like. Windows Home Server 2011 will not, however, recognize it as a backup disk, so copying from the backup to your server will require manual intervention.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:23 PM