PLEASE Help Me. Constant Freezes RRS feed

• Question

• I just built a new machine today.  Asus A8N5X MB. 3800+ proc. x850xt video card.  using an OEM version of XP Home. 

Try to update windows = Freeze

Running MGADiag = Nothing Happens, Nothing Displayed

Running Diag through http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ = Freeze on Microsoft ActiveX Controls Loading.

Bios and all hardware is up to date. I do NOT have the Nvidia IDE drivers installed.

Someone please help me here.  Im completely lost and havent the slightest idea what to do.

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:39 AM

Answers

• Daniel,

Go into your computer managment console and see if you have any hardware conflicts. Do you have the latest drivers for all of your devices?

Thanks,

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:47 AM

All replies

• Daniel,

Go into your computer managment console and see if you have any hardware conflicts. Do you have the latest drivers for all of your devices?

Thanks,

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:47 AM
  • Derrick,

thanks for the quick response.  

I am replying right after a reformat and clean install of XP.  I have not installed any other drivers except my ethernet drivers. 

Previously, there were no conflicts in device manager.. everything looked fine.  MOBO and all hardware drivers were uptodate. 

I just ran the test on the diag site and everything passed.  however, i do not have any drivers installed with the exception of my network drivers.

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:27 AM
  • *update*

oh man, what in the hell is going on.  Everything was fine in the diagnostics UNTIL i activated windows over the phone... now everything is freezing again!!!! I have NO drivers installed except my network drivers. 

I really dont know what do to anymore.  Everything I try results in a freeze.  I go the validation site.. as soon as I click "validate windows - IE freezes, Updates - IE freezes, MGADiag - Freezes, WGA Update File - Freezes.

I tried to call tech support earlier.  know what i was told  "you purchased an OEM copy of windows.. we will not help you.  If you want our help go purchase a non-OEM version of windows".  I bought this OEM copy yesterday. 

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:44 AM
  • *Update pt. 5*

Issue resolved by disabling the shockwave flash object activeX control.  WGA validation tool activeX control now works fine.. as long as the shockwave one is disabled. 

Im a little flusttered by this... anyone have any idea why??

Friday, July 28, 2006 6:25 AM
  • Daniel:

Can you tell me the version of Shockwave you're using? I'd like to investigate this iwth my test team.

-phil

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:34 AM