Changing to legit XP RRS feed

• Question

• I got ripped off by Soft4download on what I was lead to believe was a legit copy of XP pro.
    The copy they sold me turned out to be pirated so I went out and bought a legit copy from a trusted source.
    I REALLY don't want to do a complete reinstall. Will my new key work if I do a windows repair using the legit cd?

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 6:28 AM

Answers

• Starcros:

1 - Reinstall WIndows so your COA matches your Product Key (install using your COA as the Product Key) - This is the preferred method by Microsoft, as it will be a fresh copy, void of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created to bypass WGA. We know this is usually not the user preference, but it is the safest method.

2 - WGA is underway to create a tool that will allow you to switch your current invalid/non-genuine Product Key being used to your COA sticker *ONLY*. There's no slated timeline, but it will be soon. This will allow you to change product keys being used without a reinstall.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 3:40 PM

All replies

• Starcros:

1 - Reinstall WIndows so your COA matches your Product Key (install using your COA as the Product Key) - This is the preferred method by Microsoft, as it will be a fresh copy, void of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created to bypass WGA. We know this is usually not the user preference, but it is the safest method.

2 - WGA is underway to create a tool that will allow you to switch your current invalid/non-genuine Product Key being used to your COA sticker *ONLY*. There's no slated timeline, but it will be soon. This will allow you to change product keys being used without a reinstall.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 3:40 PM
  •  Starcros wrote:
    I got ripped off by Soft4download on what I was lead to believe was a legit copy of XP pro.
    The copy they sold me turned out to be pirated so I went out and bought a legit copy from a trusted source.
    I REALLY don't want to do a complete reinstall. Will my new key work if I do a windows repair using the legit cd?

Repair should work just fine.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:27 AM