Delll Poweredge 750 for WHS?? RRS feed

• Question

•  A customer of mine offered me a Dell Poweredge 750 today for a song and a dance... he recently upgraded to a 2950 for his buisness needs. The 750 only has room for two internal SATA drives... I suppose one could put any size SATA in them 500gb, 750 gb, 1TB or what ever... but only having two HD's worries me a bit. Has anyone built or used a server with just two really large drives in it? To me it seems a bit risky to end up putting so much data across just two drives. I guess I could hang a USB drive on it permanently as well and backup important files.. there are three USB ports.  Any opinions/comments are apreciated. This little server supposedly has alot of zip and zing but if it's not a good choice for WHS I guess I could use it for streaming video or other media purposes. I was going to set this up as a WHS for a friend of mine but the drive limitation then makes me worry all the more.

Thanks,

Mark

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

• The ability to connect only two drives will limit you, yes. But the question is really whether you think you'll need more than a terabyte or so of storage. If the answer is no, then you should be fine with just two 1 TB drives. You can turn on WHS share duplication and your files will be protected. Attaching an external drive and backing up your shares occasionally so you can take the data off-site is a good idea, though. Smile
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:41 PM

All replies

• The ability to connect only two drives will limit you, yes. But the question is really whether you think you'll need more than a terabyte or so of storage. If the answer is no, then you should be fine with just two 1 TB drives. You can turn on WHS share duplication and your files will be protected. Attaching an external drive and backing up your shares occasionally so you can take the data off-site is a good idea, though. Smile
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:41 PM
  •  I guess I'll go ahead and give it a try. It is supposed to be a very capable little server.

Thanks!

Mark

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:02 PM