WHS RDP windows 7 not connecting RRS feed

• Question

• I have had my WHS for over a year, had both a d-link and redbrick routers and was able to use RDP to my windows 7 ultimate and windows XP media. I got a new Lynksys fire wall router model BEFSX41. opend ports 80, 443 and 4125 set server ip to static within range of DHCP and now can only connect to XP. No settings were changed on windows 7 PC. Any ideas why I can not connect to Windows 7?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:32 PM

Answers

• I have had my WHS for over a year, had both a d-link and redbrick routers and was able to use RDP to my windows 7 ultimate and windows XP media. I got a new Lynksys fire wall router model BEFSX41. opend ports 80, 443 and 4125 set server ip to static within range of DHCP and now can only connect to XP. No settings were changed on windows 7 PC. Any ideas why I can not connect to Windows 7?
    First, when using static IPs, you should assign the IP outside the range of the DHCP pool.

Did you try rebooting your 7 client?  When viewing from the Remote Access website, what does it say for status?

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I found after working with a Cisco tech. After trying several settings, he asked me to turn off the McAfee firewall. This allowed the connection to pass to the windows 7 pc. While this worked, I’m am still not completely satisfied. Both the win 7 and XP pc’s were protected by McAfee firewall, why did 1 work and not the other? After examining the firewall on both pc’s the RDP pass through was enabled on both, the other 2 routers I had tried prior to the Lynksys had no trouble with the firewall. For now I can get to the PC through the WHS so I’ll use this until I find another solution with win 7 firewall not McAfee. Since the Lynksys is a firewall router and I have win 7 firewall on, I do not feel very vulnerable to attacks.

Allan

Monday, March 1, 2010 1:35 PM

All replies

First, when using static IPs, you should assign the IP outside the range of the DHCP pool.

Did you try rebooting your 7 client?  When viewing from the Remote Access website, what does it say for status?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:00 PM

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I found after working with a Cisco tech. After trying several settings, he asked me to turn off the McAfee firewall. This allowed the connection to pass to the windows 7 pc. While this worked, I’m am still not completely satisfied. Both the win 7 and XP pc’s were protected by McAfee firewall, why did 1 work and not the other? After examining the firewall on both pc’s the RDP pass through was enabled on both, the other 2 routers I had tried prior to the Lynksys had no trouble with the firewall. For now I can get to the PC through the WHS so I’ll use this until I find another solution with win 7 firewall not McAfee. Since the Lynksys is a firewall router and I have win 7 firewall on, I do not feel very vulnerable to attacks.

Allan

Monday, March 1, 2010 1:35 PM
  • 3rd party firewalls are often a culprit, if it comes to lack of network functionality.
    The Windows Firewall is enough to cover almost each scenario (blocking attacks from network), as the practical experience and several statements on other websites show.
    While 3rd party firewalls often offer a nicer look and feel or issue more regulary alerts to give you a sense like you paid for something, what does something for you, the Windows Firewall can do almost the same, but with lesser negative impact to usability. Applications like the setup for the Connector software can configure the Windows Firewall as a well known interface, but not 3rd party firewalls.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:22 PM