Does WHS store duplicate files in \de\shares? Need quick help! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm manually transferring some data off some WHS hard drives using a different operating system (so I'm directly accessing each drive).

I know that my data files are stored in X:\de\shares, but what about files that had duplication turned on?  Will they just show up in that folder on two different drives?

(By the way, I'm using xcopy x:\de\shares\*.* y:\ /E /V /H /Y, which should get everything, right?)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:11 PM

Answers

• If files were stored in shares with duplication turned on, they will turn up on two drives in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.

As for xcopy, that should get everything, but have you consulted the help files that are part of every Windows installation? That's the best place to learn about well-documented command line operations...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, October 16, 2009 6:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vinlaen Friday, October 16, 2009 7:14 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• If files were stored in shares with duplication turned on, they will turn up on two drives in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.

As for xcopy, that should get everything, but have you consulted the help files that are part of every Windows installation? That's the best place to learn about well-documented command line operations...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, October 16, 2009 6:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vinlaen Friday, October 16, 2009 7:14 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

As for xcopy, I got those command-line options from reading the help files but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:17 PM