none
The debugger cannot continue running the process. The operation can not be completed. Try again

Question

• I've seen similar questions asked here, but none of the answers solve my problem.

I'm using Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 version 15.7.4 and get this message continually while debugging JavaScript code. 

The project is an ASP.Net project with ASPX pages. The Visual Studio code is in VB.Net. I am using AJAX to go from the server to the client. The client is Internet Explorer. 

The error happens while stepping through the JavaScript code. I have a lot of JavaScript code (several thousand lines). The error happens at any time and any place. When it happens I must stop and restart the project. The next time I debug the code it might work fine (or not). This happens several times a day and is very annoying. 

I'm not sure if this might be the cause of the problem but I generate a lot of the JavaScript dynamically and inject it into the page. I start debugging by placing a debugger statement in the code. Once I am in debugging mode then I place some break points here and there, and sooner or later I get the message.

I inject the JavaScript like this:

var script = document.createElement('script');
    script.type = 'text/javascript';
    script.src = jsScript;
    headID.appendChild(script);

or like this:

var ss = document.createElement('script');
            ss.text = jsScript;
            var headID = document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];
            headID.appendChild(ss);

Any suggestions?

Monday, July 9, 2018 12:53 PM